Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 and installing a Seagate SATA HD

G

Please help, I have the following components:

-OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
-SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card
-Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard
-Intel i7 920
-Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA HD (Manufacturer# ST310005N1A1AS-RK)
-An old IDE DVDRW drive (Samsung) that worked saturday in my old computer
-PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V PSU

I am trying to install windows 7 Build 7057 x64 64bit version and I get the windows is loading files (with the grey and white bar) screen and then as it gets to the starting windows screen (with the newish logo) it restarts.

I also tried the 7000 build 32 bit version and the same thing happens. I have tried installing it via my samsung dvdrw drive as well as a usb thumbdrive and encountered the same problem (with both versions.)

In the Integrated Peripherals menu I have SATA RAID/AHCI Mode disabled. I have Onboard SATA/IDE Device enabled and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode set to IDE. I currently have the SATA harddrive plugged into the GSATA 2_0 port (white port- controlled by GIGABYTE SATA2/JMB322) and it shows up in the standard cmos features menu as IDE Channel 4 Master (and in the Smart Backup section) and the dvd drive shows up as IDE Channel 5 Master. If I connect it to the SATA 2_0 connector (blue port- controlled by ICH10R) it shows as IDE Channel 0 Master but does not show up in the Smart Backup section. I tried unplugging my IDE DVD Rom drive as well thinking that may have been the problem, but the same restart at windows loading screen occurs.

If it is obvious what I am doing wrong, could anyone point me in the right direction to set this up. It restarts every time after loading the files. I am communicating with Gigabyte via email (since I can never connect to Technical support via the phone) and there is like a 3 day delay as far as replying to my emails. I just figured this may be faster. I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Brett

bilbat

Splendid
If I am not mistaken, the SmartBackup business is the jMicron controller's equivalent of RAID, so a drive attached to the ICH will not show up there... What I recommend to everyone is to enable the AHCI/RAID options, whether you currently plan on using it or not, (as it's easy to install now, and a real pain later) and load the pre-install drivers (both of 'em) right away...

G

Yeah, It made sense why it wasn't showing up there, and I will preinstall the drivers when i get home, but does that sound like the issue with the constant rebooting at starting windows screen?

bilbat

Splendid
it could be something specific to the X58 or i7 (let's face it - they're as much beta as win7) but, in my experience so far (probably six or eight installs, both 32 and 64) Win7 has been very good about finding and installing proper drivers for hardware - I have learned to set aside my GB driver disk, as it's always a step back from what win7 picks to install in the first place - the only hardware problem I've consistently seen is failure to properly detect and install the Intel SMB chipset driver, as Win7 seems to think it's an ATI device at install...

funkymoneky

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
i just installed windows 7 build 7057 64 bit flawlessly. didn't touch my bios. everything new out the box.

used this ISO Windows_7_RC_(7057-0-090305-2000)_Ultimate_64_bit_DVD_PR

you can do a search on torrent sites.
connected to SATA 0, not using raid at all. I have 3 1.5 TBs hooked up to Sata 0, 1 and 2.

i suggest you try to redownload, burn, reinstall.

gigabyte ex58-ud5, i7 920, gtx 280, corsair 6 gb DDR3 1066, 750 W Silencer PSU.

btw, anyone know if u can use vista 64 bit drivers on windows 7 for the motherboard and other accessories (already got the nvidia windows 7 64 bit driver)

CorruptedBuffer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Did you have any issues with getting the network to function? I have everything working EXCEPT Win7 reports that the realtek port "cannot start". Tried installing the Gigabyte Vista 64 realtek drivers; didn't help.

Win 7 beta on gigabyte ex58-ud4p, i7 920
ATI 4870
OCZ 6 gb DDR3 1066
850W Corsair PSU
Seagate 1.5 TB HDD