GigaFast Wireless USB causes blue screen!!

mabo19

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hello, I have a GigaFast Ethernet WF748-UI 802.11g/b Wireless Adapter and as of recently it makes a blue screen pop up when I plug it into my USB port. This screen pops up literally 2 seconds after I plug in the device. It never did this before and I tried it on another computer and it does it there too.

The error codes from the blue screen:

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF623881A, 0xF6341AC0, 0xF63417BC)

*** sis163.sys - Address F623881A base at F6235000, Datestamp 41ab05b9

Any idea what this means or what to do??

I have reinstalled the drivers with no luck, and I am trying to install the latest driver found on the product website as I type this on my sisters computer. I'll let you know if that worked. (UPDATE - It didn't)

By the way this is a desktop with Windows XP SP2. I just did a fresh install of Windows XP if that helps at all. This problem occurred both before and after this fresh install.

Thanks,
Matt

***** UPDATE *****

I read a bit on here and tried to do what some laptop guys did, which was to disable everything in the device manager that had to do with the Gigafast device. I did that, plugged in the device, and the computer didn't blue screen. Then the computer installed the device and it worked for about 15 minutes. I went on the internet and stuff, then it blue screened on me. So I know the device works, but are my drivers messed or is this something more detailed?

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
1. Did you download the correct driver for your device?

2. Are you using WEP/WPA? Try disabling security as a test.

3. Can you disable any other network adapters in the computer?

4. Any other USB devices in use on this computer?

mabo19

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hey lyleb,

1. Yes, I believe I downloaded the correct driver, the site showed me which driver pertained to my serial number on the device. I also have the CD that came with the device and I tried that one before looking online and it didn't work either.

2. No there is no WEP/WPA.

3. I disabled everything listed. Everytime I plug in the device, a new adaptor pops up and I have to disable it right away before it bluescreens me.

4. My mouse is the only other USB device in use.