Google Says Windows is Torturing Users

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"It's torturing everyone in this room. It's a flawed model fundamentally."
"I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Windows," Brin said.

Which is it, Brin?

G

Google it think has it spot on... most PC users... the ones that dont even know what tom's is... need the simplist interface and computer you can make...

Don't those people buy Apple products?

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Yesterday I told my dad "Don´t use Facebook, because of privacy issues and personnal data, etc" (I should also have said it was lame imo, but didn´t).

Tomorrow i´ll say "Don´t use cloud, because of privacy issues and personnal data, etc".

SapienChavez

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
[citation][nom]geofry[/nom]Just here hold still for a second let me put this collar around your neck and attach it to this chain. You didn't really want any responsibility anyway right? Honestly it's for your own good. Trust us.Uh...how about go blow a goat Google.[/citation]

that argument worked for slavery.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]theabsinthehare[/nom]If you don't want or need ease of use, then don't install Chrome OS. Geez. Nobody is making you use it, it's just an option for people who aren't computer savvy. I hate when power users get all butt hurt and defensive when someone wants to offer something simpler. For people saying "YEAH BUT IT WONT RUN CRYSIS SO SCREW YOU", it doesn't need to. This isn't aimed at gamers. It's aimed at businesses and casual computing, so your opinion doesn't matter.[/citation]
...I would lay off the word 'power users' to represent even the majority of Tom readers. Follow along for awhile and you'll find the comment section more entertaining than the articles themselves. Think of it like a really good school's faculty-to-student ratio...but at 225:1. :p

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
the fundamental problem lies in the fact that people are lazy and don't want to learn. I don't expect people to be IT genius like me. I just want people to have a vested interest in the tools they use to make their living. Is that too much to ask? When I undertake any project at home, I learn as much about it as I possibly can so I have an informed opinion and don't get screwed on anything. Wether that would be getting my tree removed or having a lawn service, I alway do my homework, I do the math, and I understand what I am doing. The same rationale should be applied to everything everyone does. Knowledge is power and when you simply give up your rights to know for simplicity sake you give up on yourself. I'm excited for Chrome OS so I can learn something new but the ideology behind clown computing is flawed. There is a huge difference between expert and informed. More people should try to be the latter.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]geofry[/nom]Just here hold still for a second let me put this collar around your neck and attach it to this chain. You didn't really want any responsibility anyway right? Honestly it's for your own good. Trust us.Uh...how about go blow a goat Google.[/citation]

Wow, pretty much.

I love me some W7. There's always room for improvement, but I'd really like to maintain control over MY machine thanks.

G

Win7 is nearly management-free for the casual user as it is. The type of software casual users need just installs and runs, plug-and-play hardware...just install and runs. For the business chrome would be great for 'casual' office app-and-internet users. But I can administer those guys with very little effort already. Those are the 90% of users that take 10% of my time. It's the 10% of users running bespoke / legacy apps, connecting to AS400 servers, running complex access / excel / VBA mashups or using old but business critical hardware that suck up 90% of my time and I don't see Chrome helping them, they are still going to need the complexity of Windows / Linux or Mac OSX. Essentially Chrome becomes antoher system to support along side everything I'm supporting already, it just grabs the low hanging fruit (sry for pointy hair speak)...and that fruit is pretty damn low already with modern software deployment.

G

Google is naive to think that all data is secured even on an encrypted Cloud Server.

Cloud Services are only good for 1 thing, re-retrieving data such as purchased music or games from iTunes or Steam. I will not keep confidential or personal documents, photos etc on the Cloud.

spda242

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
"With Microsoft, and other operating system vendors, I think the complexity of managing your computer is really torturing users,"

Solved!!! Replaced My Windows and ESPECIALLY Linux based insanely timeconsuming PC's with Macs and iToys!

timberland67

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
What Google doesn't realize is that it's the ability to play games that sells an OS. We've had the option to get free OS's for productivity for years. Another failure because of lack of research. We'll at least the idiots at the top at Google are keeping the unemployment down in the area.

zinker

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
looool, they are trying to promote their own operating system by saying that the "others" are too complicated??

I guess they think that having only 20% windows is a good example for this but it IS NOT as the 80% left are Mac OSX and Linux??

Is their own operating system not good enough for them??

google, you suck

dgingeri

Distinguished
Chromebooks are a new model that doesn't put the burden of managing the computer on yourself.

yeah, because it is such a good idea to allow others to manage your life and have unimpeded access to all your data. (yes, that is sarcasm.)

Thanks, but I'll keep my settings and data to myself.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]timberland67[/nom]What Google doesn't realize is that it's the ability to play games that sells an OS.[/citation]
No, it's not. I'm dedicated to the PC platform for gaming and don't own any consoles, but the sad truth is consoles dominate the gaming ecosystem at the moment and the vast majority of PC users neither use them for gaming, nor are their systems capable of running most modern games.

Linux's failure to penetrate the desktop market has nothing to do with gaming except in a minority of enthusiasts who would like to make the switch but don't because they can't play games on Linux, it's simply because Linux is still a mess, especially to the average PC user (i.e. not people posting on Tom's).

You're all ranting like maniacs about how wrong Google have got this, but you don't seem to be realising that Google isn't talking about you here, it's talking about people that use their budget Dell laptops for Gmail, Youtube and Facebook and have their systems become slowly overrun with Windows rot and malware because of their inability and unwillingness to maintain them (somewhat mitigated by Windows 7, but was particularly true in the XP days and prior).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS