[SOLVED] GPU causing hard freeze on Bios Boot

FrozenZephyr

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2014
Hello again, I created a thread here about a month ago about a power outage I experienced that caused my pc to do some wonky things, most of these issues I was able to resolve myself but today I'm afraid that one of the issues that I hoped were fixed was this issue I had with my GTX 1070 causing windows to freeze on the bios boot screen just before you get to the login screen. So quick rundown after the power outage my pc that has been working fine for years wouldn't post, assumed it was a PSU issue short-circuited I reset the CMOS nothing worked eventually I unplugged my GPU from the motherboard and used my onboard GPU by connecting an HDMI to my mobo and I was able to get into safe mode installed ddu removed all of the Nvidia drivers GeForce, etc and I reinstalled the drivers, everything back to normal I can use my 1070 normally as my primary GPU boots fine.

Today I had a BSOD "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" my pc attempts to restart and the freezing bios issue is now back again, I have auto-updates from windows turned off I haven't installed any new GeForce drivers in fact I the first thing I did was unplug the 1070 boot into safe mode using the onboard GPU uninstalled the drivers that I had and reinstalled just like before but now with 1070 connected to the motherboard even if I'm using the integrated graphics and have no display ports connected the 1070 still causes my bios to freeze on boot even when no display ports are being used on the card. So just to elaborate on what happens currently I plug the HDMI into the motherboard with the 1070 connected I attempt to boot windows and my monitor shows no activity my peripherals light up keyboard/mouse and motherboard/GPU is on but no screen, when I connect a display port to the just the 1070 I get a bios splash screen windows dots show up and hard freezes.

So I have a temporary fix for right now, I went into my bios changed my default GPU to onboard so I currently have an HDMI connected to my mobo, and I am able to boot up with the 1070 connected then I connect a DisplayPort to the 1070 after windows boots up and switch inputs on my monitor and the 1070 works fine its really confusing I already installed the drivers for the 1070 but I have no idea what could be causing the freezing issue the GPU even games fine currently any ideas?

Solution
For the sake of relevance I dug your older thread;

Are you still on the Corsair CX600 unit? How old is the unit at this point? The issue to me seems like you've got a badly built unreliable PSU in your build and the power failure did a number on it. As stated in the last thread, source a donor PSU that is reliably build and has 650W of power for the entire builds, from a friend or neighbor and see if the GPU and the entire system regains life.

As for your last post on that thread, you need to understand that it's not drivers, it's lack of power to the GPU, or so it seems to us/me. If you rule out your PSU then you cans tart running into other paths...

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of relevance I dug your older thread;

Are you still on the Corsair CX600 unit? How old is the unit at this point? The issue to me seems like you've got a badly built unreliable PSU in your build and the power failure did a number on it. As stated in the last thread, source a donor PSU that is reliably build and has 650W of power for the entire builds, from a friend or neighbor and see if the GPU and the entire system regains life.

As for your last post on that thread, you need to understand that it's not drivers, it's lack of power to the GPU, or so it seems to us/me. If you rule out your PSU then you cans tart running into other paths of troubleshooting(like drivers).

What version of Windows 10 are you on at the time of writing?

Solution