[SOLVED] GPU causing PC to shut down?

Nov 10, 2021
Hi everyone,

I've been recently experiencing an issue with my GPU (see specs below) where around 25-30 minutes into a game or stress test, the entire PC shuts off (no BSOD, no errors or anything), the CPU light on the motherboard lights up, and then the PC boots back up into the lock screen (so it's not doing a full shutdown but going into sleep mode). I have my power setting set to never turn off the PC so it's not that. I ran some stress tests and was able to replicate the issue when testing the GPU alone or both the CPU and GPU together, but not the CPU alone. Initially, I was advised that it may be a power issue and so I upgraded my PSU to no avail.

What's also weird is I'm seeing random huge temp spikes in the GPU components (e.g. VRAM (pink line) jumps from hovering at 46 to over 100 very quickly: View: https://imgur.com/a/pjBdomc
). These jumps don't seem to be causing the shutdown but I'm thinking they may be related. I tried contacting the manufacturer but since my GPU is 5 months out of warranty they basically said I was SOL and wouldn't advise me further or RMA it.

Here are the specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega 56
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4
PSU: 600W EVGA at first, now 750W EVGA Supernova G+ after the upgrade

Solution
Are you running Windows 11 Beta or the released version?

= = = =

Uninstall the existing GPU drivers.

Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the applicable GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. No third party tools or installers.

Failing that try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix Windows file problems.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"the entire PC shuts off (no BSOD, no errors or anything), "

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors that occurred just before or at the time of the PC shutdowns.

Start with Reliability History: much more user friendly and it uses a timeline format that can prove quite helpful.

Then look in Event History - likely you will need to do some exploring to get a sense of the structure and the error information being presented. Do not be too alarmed about the errors that appear. In many cases, Windows just handles the error, recovers, and the system just keeps going on thereafter.

Any given error can be right-clicked for additional information that may or may not prove helpful.

Nov 10, 2021
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors that occurred just before or at the time of the PC shutdowns.

Okay, so here is what I found that could be relevant. In Reliability History (shutdown occurred around 7:37 PM), the VideoCardMonitor and RadeonSoftware Events:

View: https://imgur.com/a/aTZXQ48

And in Event History, I'm finding this event:

Code:
The AMDRyzenMasterDriver service failed to start due to the following error:
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

So could it be a software issue? I recently updated to Windows 11 and I'm wondering if that broke my drivers/software. Thing is, I'm past the 10 day period where I can go back so I want to rule out any other possibilities before having to do a clean install of Windows 10.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you running Windows 11 Beta or the released version?

= = = =

Uninstall the existing GPU drivers.

Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the applicable GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. No third party tools or installers.

Failing that try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix Windows file problems.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Solution

TRENDING THREADS