Question gpu, cpu, and nvme drive all underperforming could anyone help me troubleshoot? evga 3080ti, ryzen 9 5900x, WDS500G1X0E-00AFY0 500GB

Jan 29, 2022
Please keep it to 1 thread.
userbenchmark link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50058724
system specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Ryzen 9 5900x
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1499MHz (22-21-21-50)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) (AM4) 38 °C
Graphics
LC27G5xT (2560x1440@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (EVGA) 58 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB102 (SATA ) 34 °C
465GB Western Digital WDS500G1X0E-00AFY0 (Unknown (SSD))

i got an evga 3080ti and some new ram yesterday. and ive had my nvme and cpu for a while and i didnt have any problems when playing games on my 2060super but now my fps is dropping way lower than it had been when using the 2060super. i dont know whats causing everything to underperform but i need help bad!
also im confused as to why speccy reads my ram speed as 1499MHz and on task manager it says 3000MHz could that be a problem as well? either way i just need someone to help me make sense of all this please

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)5900X not turbo boosting.
Turbo(avg) is equal to base clock when it shouldn't be. A sign of thermal throttling, or missing/corrupt chipset driver.

2)3080Ti bench score and percentile score very low.
Another sign of thermal throttling, or it's starved for power.

3)WD Black SN850 bench score and percentile score are low.
Suspect thermal throttling again; if you installed it in the slot above the 3080Ti, you're probably cooking it. Gen 4 NVMes already have a thing with their ASIC controllers running hot.

4)The ram is running at 3000mhz, and not the 3600mhz.
This kit probably has more than one DOCP profile, and you just need to select the other profile in bios to get the 3600mhz.

im confused as to why speccy reads my ram speed as 1499MHz and on task manager it says 3000MHz
DDR = dual data rate. Multiply by 2.

Jan 29, 2022
Turbo(avg) is equal to base clock when it shouldn't be. A sign of thermal throttling, or missing/corrupt chipset driver.

Suspect thermal throttling again; if you installed it in the slot above the 3080Ti, you're probably cooking it. Gen 4 NVMes already have a thing with their ASIC controllers running hot.

This kit probably has more than one DOCP profile, and you just need to select the other profile in bios to get the 3600mhz.

dang im a little stupid lmao thanks man

Jan 29, 2022

how would i go about checking the chipset drivers? and i installed my nvme under my gpu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
how would i go about checking the chipset drivers?
  1. Open Windows 10 Settings.
  2. Open “App & Features”
  3. Find “AMD Chipset Software.
  4. Click on the entry.
  5. Look at the number below the AMD Logo.
Then it's off to the mobo's support page to see if they have a newer one available to download and install.

my cpu is running at 4.2MHz at 44 degrees C i thought that was normal
There's multiple cores/threads. They shouldn't all be running like that.
Some should be lower when not in use to save power, others should be above that when in use and there is power and temperature headroom to do so.

Jan 29, 2022
is the
  1. Open Windows 10 Settings.
  2. Open “App & Features”
  3. Find “AMD Chipset Software.
  4. Click on the entry.
  5. Look at the number below the AMD Logo.
Then it's off to the mobo's support page to see if they have a newer one available to download and install.

There's multiple cores/threads. They shouldn't all be running like that.
Some should be lower when not in use to save power, others should be above that when in use and there is power and temperature headroom to do so.
is there a way i could change that? if so, could you tell me a setting?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can't ignore factory overclocks. A card like that is going to have a factory OC.
Did you check if it was thermal throttling - gpu core, gpu hotspot, Vram temperature? Use hwinfo to see Vram - BUT, if it's the FTW3 model, use Precision X. I'm not 100% that Precision X lets you see XC's Vram temp.
Did you notice if the card was not boosting properly? It should be able to do 1800mhz + easily.

should i download the vga driver from the mobo site? or should i uninstall and reinstall the nvidia driver?
1)No, because the 5900x doesn't have a graphics processor. That's really for the Ryzen G processors - 3400G, 5600G, and so on.
2)About all I could say is that it does not hurt to try - heck, maybe try a slightly older driver.

and for some reason the highest ram speed i can get is 3200MHz if i try 3600MHz it crashes my pc
Not sure. Maybe it needs more voltage to be stable...
This is a brand new kit of 4x 8GBs, and you didn't add two, 2x 8GBs together?

Jan 29, 2022
You can't ignore factory overclocks. A card like that is going to have a factory OC.
Did you check if it was thermal throttling - gpu core, gpu hotspot, Vram temperature? Use hwinfo to see Vram - BUT, if it's the FTW3 model, use Precision X. I'm not 100% that Precision X lets you see XC's Vram temp.
Did you notice if the card was not boosting properly? It should be able to do 1800mhz + easily.

1)No, because the 5900x doesn't have a graphics processor. That's really for the Ryzen G processors - 3400G, 5600G, and so on.
2)About all I could say is that it does not hurt to try - heck, maybe try a slightly older driver.

i think i realized whats going on. i need to get another pcie cable. my corsair only came with 2 and i only have 2 plugged in with one of the cables plugged into two 8 pin slots

Jan 29, 2022
i think i realized whats going on. i need to get another pcie cable. my corsair only came with 2 and i only have 2 plugged in with one of the cables plugged into two 8 pin slots
and if thats the case, could i just not have enough power to run 3600mhz until i can properly connect my 3080ti?

Jan 29, 2022

just saw what you said about precision x as well ill download that

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're sure it's just missing a cable? What is this Corsair psu?
If the gpu needs 3 separate PCIE cables plugged in, but the psu can only do 1 + a pigtail, and the gpu is still starved for power, you likely need a new psu - assuming your current psu does not have a 3rd PCIE port.

and if thats the case, could i just not have enough power to run 3600mhz until i can properly connect my 3080ti?
No? The ram doesn't use anywhere close to the kind of power that gpu does.
And crashing right at the start too? No, that's not the psu causing the ram to crash.
Did you add kits?

Jan 29, 2022
If the gpu needs 3 separate PCIE cables plugged in, but the psu can only do 1 + a pigtail, and the gpu is still starved for power, you likely need a new psu - assuming your current psu does not have a 3rd PCIE port.

And crashing right at the start too? No, that's not the psu causing the ram to crash.
Did you add kits?

Did you add kits?
i previously had 2 8gb sticks in there and then i got 2 more of the same exact ones and installed them yesterday if thats what you mean by kits, also sorry if i dont quite understand most terms this is my first build that ive done alone

Jan 29, 2022
i previously had 2 8gb sticks in there and then i got 2 more of the same exact ones and installed them yesterday if thats what you mean by kits, also sorry if i dont quite understand most terms this is my first build that ive done alone
the psu is a corsair rm850 850w gold it has a third slot for a pcie/cpu cable it just didnt come with a third 8pin pcie

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Then you've mixed ram, and that's probably why DOCP 3600 is crashing.
3600mhz should be pretty easy for Ryzen 5000 to run... but if you've mixed kits like that, even though they had the same rated speed and timings - I assume - but still crash, it's because the 2 kits aren't compatible.

the psu is a corsair rm850 850w gold it has a third slot for a pcie/cpu cable it just didnt come with a third 8pin pcie
So you should be able to get a 3rd one from Corsair...

Jan 29, 2022
Then you've mixed ram, and that's probably why DOCP 3600 is crashing.
3600mhz should be pretty easy for Ryzen 5000 to run... but if you've mixed kits like that, even though they had the same rated speed and timings - I assume - but still crash, it's because the 2 kits aren't compatible.

So you should be able to get a 3rd one from Corsair...
thats mixing kits even all 4 ram cards are all corsair vengeance 8gb 3600Mhz? like theyre the same brand speed and size

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
thats mixing kits even all 4 ram cards are all corsair vengeance 8gb 3600Mhz? like theyre the same brand speed and size
They weren't tested nor certified by the manufacturer to be compatible. A packaged 4x 8GB kit was.
Brand doesn't matter. You could have 2 different kits of G. Skill Trident Z with the same speed, timings, and capacity. Then look up the OEM with CPU-Z, and find that the first kit's OEM was SK Hynix, and the other one was Samsung.
All speed and timings do is increase the compatibility rate. It does not guarantee stability.
You sign yourself up for testing and certification when mixing ram, and these kits crash right away upon trying to run 3600mhz. Some mixed kits take a little more effort to dig that out.
The odds of getting the ram to run at 3600 is low.