Question GPU doesn't fit in PCIE and I've completed a watercooled pc

lomoon17

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Hi so I just completed my watercooled PC, and when I was putting in the components the GPU fitted but only clipped at the clip. I cannot push the card any further. I have no signal on monitor but at one stage it was working and I was able to get into the bios. I would prefer not to have to drain my loop as I had issues beforehand setting it up. The MOBO is the ASUS Maximus VIII and the gpu RTX 2070 EVGA XC ULTRA GAMING (3 slot.) If someone could please help me as I'm not sure how to fix my dilemma and get the card fully pushed in. Thanks

May 4, 2019
Hey, you are a terrible photographer.:) I can't tell anything from the photo, but there are only a couple of things that can be a problem. On the edge of the motherboard there are headers for the USB and audio and perhaps fans. If the GPU needs to seat above them, the cable may be in the way. The output side of the board needs to have the metal tabs slip between the motherboard and the chassis, often into little slots in the chassis just below the level of the motherboard. Sometimes you need to bend the GPU mounting bracket slightly to ensure the tabs line up. Of course, make sure that all three of the blanks and screws are removed from the chassis first.

Finally, there may be brick-a-brack or heat sinks or RAM interfering with the area the GPU needs.

Also, make sure to insert the board level, trying to get the brackets and the PCIex edge connector to go in at the same time. If you are locked under the clip with the bracket end not in the PCIex slot, then the key in the slot may be blocking the board from rotating down into place.

Most often, the problem is with the bracket side not aligning properly. Unclip the PCIex clip and try again, aligning the bracket carefully. Sometimes I have to bend the bracket slightly to get it in position when inserting PCIex boards. It's slightly possible that the motherboard is not well aligned or you used the wrong standoff positions when you mounted the motherboard, but if the IO plate is well aligned then that is unlikely. You can slightly loosen the motherboard screws to give some wiggle room if needed.

May 4, 2019
Looking at your photo again, maybe I am seeing the GPU waterblock hitting the PCIex connector for the next slot? If so, you will need to shift the waterblock a bit to clear that connector, or use a smaller waterblock.

lomoon17

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Looking at your photo again, maybe I am seeing the GPU waterblock hitting the PCIex connector for the next slot? If so, you will need to shift the waterblock a bit to clear that connector, or use a smaller waterblock.
I can't get a new waterblock, I don't think it's too big, I honestly have no idea, there are no cables blocking it and I really don't want to have to drain the loop to fix the issue. It fits in the slots and I'm able to screw it in with force but it doesn't realign it and the screws are on an angle a bit. The only thing I can think is wrong is the motherboard shroud might be blocking it.

May 4, 2019
I can't get a new waterblock, I don't think it's too big, I honestly have no idea, there are no cables blocking it and I really don't want to have to drain the loop to fix the issue. It fits in the slots and I'm able to screw it in with force but it doesn't realign it and the screws are on an angle a bit. The only thing I can think is wrong is the motherboard shroud might be blocking it.
Exactly what is the photo showing me. I can't even tell which end of the board or if you have a vertical PCIex riser, or what. It's likely a mechanical alignment or obstruction problem. What is the exact version of the motherboard (Extreme, Hero, etc.). What is the shroud or heatsink shown in the photo? Which end and side are we looking at in the photo.

Looking at the MB online, it is the RGB, the cover over the audio section or the plastic holding the IO panel in place. Maybe you could use the next PCIex slot? Take a couple of better photos and I'll try to help.

lomoon17

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
I think I have figured it out, so I'm pretty sure that the MB shroud is too big and either I will have to remove the screw at the bottom so that it's loose or cut part of the shroud off, if neither of these work I will post again in this thread. Thanks
(Sorry for crappy pics a bit hard to show you with the system filled and it's also horizontal mounted and the problem is towards the GPU IO as it can't fully clip in.)

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
More pics.
Did you use rigid tubing or flexible? Maybe the tubing forces the gpu out, yet all rigid tubing will allow some flex in the joints.

Try to clip the board parallel, like insert parallel, make sure the tabs of the braket fall into the slots of the case (look inside the case at the slots, i've seen mangled slots from previous forced instalation of expansion cards), push the card in the center and near the braket to fully insert into the slot and it will clip itself at the back after insertion is complete. So don't clip the back first! Let the back clip come last.

lomoon17

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
More pics.
Did you use rigid tubing or flexible? Maybe the tubing forces the gpu out, yet all rigid tubing will allow some flex in the joints.

Try to clip the board parallel, like insert parallel, make sure the tabs of the braket fall into the slots of the case (look inside the case at the slots, i've seen mangled slots from previous forced instalation of expansion cards), push the card in the center and near the braket to fully insert into the slot and it will clip itself at the back after insertion is complete. So don't clip the back first! Let the back clip come last.
I have tried that several times didn't work too tight I reckon around the MB shroud