Question GPU Doesn't output any display when PC is turned on and the fans don't spin either. How do I fix this?

Apr 18, 2024
I recently bought a used Gigabyte VISION 3070 8gb Graphics card online that was about 2 years old. I just got the package delivered today and wanted to install it. So I uninstalled my previous nvidia drivers using DDU and did all the neccesary steps to successfully install my graphics card. So I turn on my PC and... no display? I also notice that the fans (that I think usually spin when the computer first turns on) do not spin, but the gigabyte logo on the card lights up like normal. I figured it was some kind of driver issue since I completely deleted all my graphics drivers using DDU and used the integrated graphics on my CPU to load into windows. When I try install NVIDIA GEFORCE EXPERIENCE though, it tells me that it couldn't detect an NVIDIA graphics card at all and told me I needed a NVIDIA card to run the download. So I try reseating my graphics card and same problem happens. I try my old graphics card to see if it's software issue related and my old graphics card (still without any drivers for my cards) works just fine and shows display on my monitor. I don't know what else to do and I'm writing to see if anyone can help me.
-
-My system:
-MOBO: Asus PRIME B550M-A WIFI II
-GPU1: GIGABYTE RTX 3070 (New and the one with issues)
-GPU2: ZOTAC RTX 3050 (Old and works just fine)
-CPU: AMD RYZEN 5600G
-RAM: Corsair vengence DDR4 8GB (x4)
-PSU: ARMAGEDDON 600 GOLD RGB (608W)

I appreciate any help I get. Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with the power supply, it isn't ideal but you should at least see bios splash screen. You are connecting properly both 6 and 8pin supplementary connectors to the card? Check that, they're both connected fully, and the card itself is seating fully in the pcie slot.

Did you buy card new or used?

Reactions: Satan-IR

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I recently bought a used Gigabyte VISION 3070 8gb Graphics card online that was about 2 years old. I just got the package delivered today and wanted to install it. So I uninstalled my previous nvidia drivers using DDU and did all the neccesary steps to successfully install my graphics card. So I turn on my PC and... no display? I also notice that the fans (that I think usually spin when the computer first turns on) do not spin, but the gigabyte logo on the card lights up like normal. I figured it was some kind of driver issue since I completely deleted all my graphics drivers using DDU and used the integrated graphics on my CPU to load into windows. When I try install NVIDIA GEFORCE EXPERIENCE though, it tells me that it couldn't detect an NVIDIA graphics card at all and told me I needed a NVIDIA card to run the download. So I try reseating my graphics card and same problem happens. I try my old graphics card to see if it's software issue related and my old graphics card (still without any drivers for my cards) works just fine and shows display on my monitor. I don't know what else to do and I'm writing to see if anyone can help me.
-
-My system:
-MOBO: Asus PRIME B550M-A WIFI II
-GPU1: GIGABYTE RTX 3070 (New and the one with issues)
-GPU2: ZOTAC RTX 3050 (Old and works just fine)
-CPU: AMD RYZEN 5600G
-RAM: Corsair vengence DDR4 8GB (x4)
-PSU: ARMAGEDDON 600 GOLD RGB (608W)

I appreciate any help I get. Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this.
Speed of your RAM please.

Apr 18, 2024
I agree with the power supply, it isn't ideal but you should at least see bios splash screen. You are connecting properly both 6 and 8pin supplementary connectors to the card? Check that, they're both connected fully, and the card itself is seating fully in the pcie slot.

Did you buy card new or used?
Is it okay for me to run the card with only the 8-pim connector plugged in and not both 8 and 6? Oh and the card was bought used and is about 2 years old.

Apr 18, 2024
I'll continue to reply and add more updates about my GPU tomorrow. For now I gotta sleep since I got class tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who has replied to me for today!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This GPU should never have been put in a PC and turned on with this PSU; the PSU is absolutely cheap garbage. It's a not even a real 475W PSU; it barely has 350W of +12V power, meaning it's group-regulated, which is unacceptable for anything that isn't powering a cheap office PC from 2007. You can tell the scummy tactics of this company; the PSU is neither Gold-rated nor 600W, yet they name it Gold 600 to deceive people.

You simply can't get legitimate PSUs for a GPU at this price. That's not even $40 in the US, and PSUs tend to be cheapest here; there's nothing here I'd use this GPU with for under $90 or so. Whether or not you received a defective used GPU, the PSU is unacceptable. And frankly, the seller has a good case for not giving a refund given the PSU you connected the GPU to.

Apr 18, 2024
If it does work though, i wouldn't run the card too long with that psu. Psu is most critical part, don't skimp on it.

Anything from tier a or b.

I connected 8-pin and 6-pin connectors and... it works! I'm really glad it's not the card's issue. I'll probably switch to a higher wattage PSU not so long from now. Thank you very much! I thought the 6-pin connector was optional to connect to and although I kind of feel silly right now for stressing over an unconnected 6-pin connector, I'm glad that the problem was just that.

Reactions: boju
Apr 18, 2024
This GPU should never have been put in a PC and turned on with this PSU; the PSU is absolutely cheap garbage. It's a not even a real 475W PSU; it barely has 350W of +12V power, meaning it's group-regulated, which is unacceptable for anything that isn't powering a cheap office PC from 2007. It has no 80 Plus Gold rating, either; they just call the PSU "gold" to make it sound impressive.

You simply can't get legitimate PSUs for this price. That's not even $40 in the US, and PSUs tend to be cheapest here. Whether or not you received a defective used GPU, the PSU is unacceptable. And frankly, the seller has a good case for not giving a refund given the PSU you connected the GPU to.
Thanks for the info... I'm kind of a beginner to PC building and things related. I'll be switching to a better PSU soon.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Have you checked another port on the 3070 card?

Does the card have LED indicators as to whether it's getting or not getting enough power? What about the motherboard? Does it have VGA LED and if yes it lit or flashing or anything like that?

If the PSU and its cables allow (is it modular?) connect the 6-pin and 8-pin from separate headers on PSU with separate cables to card. Don't use one cable with one end on PSU and two brances of 6+2 to the card connectors. Like this:

QO6erEq.png

FYI, this image is from a SeaSonic user manual but it's recommended to connect more demanding cards like this.

EDIT: Forgot ro click Post and didn't see all the replies before me. Posting anyway. @UltiWasTaken glad you card is working.

Apr 18, 2024
Have you checked another port on the 3070 card?

Does the card have LED indicators as to whether it's getting or not getting enough power? What about the motherboard? Does it have VGA LED and if yes it lit or flashing or anything like that?

If the PSU and its cables allow (is it modular?) connect the 6-pin and 8-pin from separate headers on PSU with separate cables to card. Don't use one cable with one end on PSU and two brances of 6+2 to the card connectors. Like this:

QO6erEq.png

FYI, this image is from a SeaSonic user manual but it's recommended to connect more demanding cards like this.

EDIT: Forgot ro click Post and didn't see all the replies before me. Posting anyway. @UltiWasTaken glad you card is working.
Oh thanks for the help! I appreciate it