[SOLVED] GPU doesn't work after updating drivers ?

rijn12

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
So okay, just a starting information. Here's my current setup:
Previous setup:
  • i5-4690k
  • GA H81M-DS2
  • 2x4gb ddr3 1333mhz
  • 650W Corsair
  • R9 270X
New setup:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • B450m Steel Legend Asrock
  • 2x8gb ddr4 3200mhz sticks
  • 650W Corsair
  • R9 270X
This first came to me when I was turning on my PC way back months ago. Here's a step-by-step flow of what is happening.
  1. Turns on PC
  2. POST is good
  3. Windows loading screen
  4. After the load, where you should see the log-on screen, it goes black.
  5. Restarts.
  6. POST again
  7. Windows loading screen
  8. Then black again
  9. Restarts
  10. POST
  11. Then it goes to the Automatic Repair screen. (Which is normal since it has restarted a few times now)
Now, what I've already done are:
  • Changed/tried another GPU (borrowed one of my friend's 1070, works like magic)
  • Changed the thermal compound of my GPU since it hasn't been changed ever since.
  • Enter safe mode
    • uninstalled GPU drivers via Device Manager
    • I used DDU for the complete uninstall of the AMD drivers on my system.
What's happening now is:
  • I can now boot it up without using Safe Mode, but;
  • I can't update the drivers.
    • Updating the drivers makes the screen go black again and with a horizontal line on the middle of the screen (seems like a glitch or something)
    • Tried to updated using Catalyst (older) drivers. Still goes black and restarts.
  • Analyzed my system through Speccy and seeing that I'm only using a basic ATI driver I think? Here's a text copy of it.
    • Graphics
      Monitor

Name ASUS VZ279HE on Microsoft Basic Display Driver
      Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
      Work Resolution 1920x1050 pixels
      State Enabled, Primary
      Monitor Width 1920
      Monitor Height 1080
      Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
      Monitor Frequency 64 Hz
      Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
      ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
      Manufacturer ATI
      Model AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
      Device ID 1002-6810
      Subvendor Sapphire/PCPartner (174B)
      Current Performance Level Level 0
      Technology 28 nm
      GPU Clock 0.0 MHz
      Driver version 13.251.0.0
      Count of performance levels : 1
      Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
I hope anyone of you could get my problem here fixed or somewhat. Really need to use this card for now since the GPU supply is so low which makes these latest GPUs so high.
If there are any other pieces of information you may need, let me know. I might provide them.

Solution
UPDATE:
I've had it working, again. Tried all of the possible troubleshoot on the driver but to no avail. Last resort was the Oven Trick. But for my case, I didn't use the oven trick since we are using the oven for foods. I used the heat gun method instead.

1. Opened the graphics card.
  2. Took out the fan cable and its socket (important to remove as it might melt).
  3. Cleaned with a wet wipes.
  4. Removed the existing thermal paste
  5. Sprayed and brushed lightly with a contact cleaner formula (Arbo or WD40).
  6. Let it sit and dry
  7. Raised the PCB on an aluminum film.
  8. Used the heat gun to heat the chip and vram part in a circular movement for 8 minutes
  9. Let it cool down.
  10. Flipped on the back of the card (exposed one) and...

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair is the brand of the unit while 650W is the wattage. What is the model of the unit? Also, how old is the unit since you've recycled the PSU from your old build alongside the GPU? Did you reinstall the OS after your platform migration? If not, you should recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools then proceed to reinstall the OS. I'd make sure that the BIOS on the motherboard is also up to date.

rijn12

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Corsair is the brand of the unit while 650W is the wattage. What is the model of the unit? Also, how old is the unit since you've recycled the PSU from your old build alongside the GPU? Did you reinstall the OS after your platform migration? If not, you should recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools then proceed to reinstall the OS. I'd make sure that the BIOS on the motherboard is also up to date.

Hi Lutfij,

Corsair is the brand and i believe it is a CV650, sorry haven't changed, but the previous PSU i had was an Aerocool X Strike 500w. Then changed to corsair.
well, the unit (gpu) is almost 7 years old. bought it by the year 2014.
No i haven't reinstalled migration. This happened back when i was still using my old setup, the intel one. Sorry for the loss of direction on the step by step story.

rijn12

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
UPDATE:
I've had it working, again. Tried all of the possible troubleshoot on the driver but to no avail. Last resort was the Oven Trick. But for my case, I didn't use the oven trick since we are using the oven for foods. I used the heat gun method instead.

1. Opened the graphics card.
  2. Took out the fan cable and its socket (important to remove as it might melt).
  3. Cleaned with a wet wipes.
  4. Removed the existing thermal paste
  5. Sprayed and brushed lightly with a contact cleaner formula (Arbo or WD40).
  6. Let it sit and dry
  7. Raised the PCB on an aluminum film.
  8. Used the heat gun to heat the chip and vram part in a circular movement for 8 minutes
  9. Let it cool down.
  10. Flipped on the back of the card (exposed one) and heat gun it in 4 minutes
  11. Let it cool down again.
  12. Flipped it upright. Heat gunned the chip and vram part again for 4 minutes.
  13. Let it cool down.
  14. Cleaned with wet wipes again but the PCB only. I could see some more visible dirt and gum.
  15. Re-paste with Thermal Grease (don't use pastes that are shiny and have electrical conductivity).
  16. Assembled it back again.
  17. Tested.
  18. Works and my Speccy can now read my graphics card.
NOTE: They say this method does NOT work 100% all the time. Make sure that you've done all of the possible troubleshooting for the card internally on your computer. This was my last resort method.

Benchmarks were done:
  • UNIGINE
    • 720p - 78deg temp at 90fps avg. (12000 score)
    • 1080p Medium - 81 deg temp at 35fps avg. (4400 score)
  • FurMark (not recommended)
    • 100deg highest temp recorded
    • 4800 score
  • GTA V Low Settings
    • 60fps stable
  • Warzone Low Settings
    • 50fps Stable @720p
  • Idle temperature is at 39degC.

Solution