Question GPU fans get really loud while I play a game even though the temps are fine, then stay loud even after.

Dec 29, 2020
Hey! so I have a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X that I have been using for 2 years now with no issues and just recently upgraded my pc and am reusing the graphics card, I am using a msi tomahawk x570 mobo with a ryzen 5600x. since putting my old gpu into my new pc it runs fine and quite until I start gaming, and sometimes it doesn't even do this but most times it will get very loud and I'm assuming the fans will run at 100% even though my temps are very good. The fans will continue to be loud even after I finish gaming until I restart my pc.

I have tried using msi afterburner and several other programs to change the fan curve and it does nothing, I cant seem to control the speed through a program. Although i find when i mess with afterburner it will also randomly make my fans go to 100% and i have to turn off my pc again to reset them which I find is very weird.

I tried searching other forums for a bit now and couldn't find an answer so i thought i would try making my own post and see if someone could help me solve this, thanks!

I would say use DDU and then reinstall the GPU drivers as a first step. I doubt that will actually fix the issue, but it is worth a shot, because who knows? Other than that, it sounds like its possible that a temp sensor is reporting wrong, which makes the fans run at 100%. Not sure how exactly the cards are built, so I dont know if it is possible for the fans to be seeing a different temperature that you can, but it might be possible. It could also be a controller issue, but I wouldnt know how to fix that if it was the issue.

Dec 29, 2020
I would say use DDU and then reinstall the GPU drivers as a first step. I doubt that will actually fix the issue, but it is worth a shot, because who knows? Other than that, it sounds like its possible that a temp sensor is reporting wrong, which makes the fans run at 100%. Not sure how exactly the cards are built, so I dont know if it is possible for the fans to be seeing a different temperature that you can, but it might be possible. It could also be a controller issue, but I wouldnt know how to fix that if it was the issue.
sorry i forgot to add i did do a complete uninstall of all the drivers and redownloaded with no fix :/ i also tried using a electronic fan to try to clean it if any dust was causing the problem. thanks for the reply!

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
WD-40? It works for ball bearing fans, at least,; there are youtube videos. Not sure what gpu fans are.

I mean if you're temps are fine than you really only need to fix the noise.