[SOLVED] GPU fans noise

Sep 8, 2020
Hi I got an 2080TI and during gaming when it reaches above 70c the fans will sometimes make random really loud noises like a jet engine which lasts for a few seconds at a time.

I checked with HWMonitor and it appears that the GPU fans shoot up to 3420 RPM during this phase before going back down to around 2200 RPM

I want to know if this is normal behaviour for the card? I am running it stock everything.

Google tells me all about fan curves and stuff I don't understand so I am asking here for somebody to check my HWMonitor readings and what I said about the noises and see if everything is fine for me.

here is my HWMonitor for you to check if my performances and everything are fine.

L9gise5.png

39w6i3Z.png

Solution
It's likely a fan curve issue.

(Very simple) example, you'll have a default curve that'll run the fans at 0% / 0rpm until maybe 40'C, then ~50% / 2000rpm up to 70'C and have a hard 'spike' up to 100% (4000rpm).

It should be a 'curve' so that it ramps up/down gradually, but depending on airflow & workload, you may jump 20 degrees from 50'C / 50% fan speed to 70'C / 100% speed almost instantly.

At 70'C, the fans kick in hard, get really loud, but drive the temps down fast, so the fans slow down again.

HWMonitor doesn't show the range of the curve, only the current/min/max.

Do you have MSI Afterburner installed? It's not limited to MSI cards.
If not, it's a fairly easy one to check (there are alternatives like EVGA's PrecisionX...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

(Very simple) example, you'll have a default curve that'll run the fans at 0% / 0rpm until maybe 40'C, then ~50% / 2000rpm up to 70'C and have a hard 'spike' up to 100% (4000rpm).

It should be a 'curve' so that it ramps up/down gradually, but depending on airflow & workload, you may jump 20 degrees from 50'C / 50% fan speed to 70'C / 100% speed almost instantly.

At 70'C, the fans kick in hard, get really loud, but drive the temps down fast, so the fans slow down again.

If not, it's a fairly easy one to check (there are alternatives like EVGA's PrecisionX etc too).
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

MSI AB will let you see the fan curve, and it's pretty self-explanatory.
You can raise the baseline, or you can flatten/widen the curves.

msi.png

Solution
Sep 8, 2020

If not, it's a fairly easy one to check (there are alternatives like EVGA's PrecisionX etc too).
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

MSI AB will let you see the fan curve, and it's pretty self-explanatory.
You can raise the baseline, or you can flatten/widen the curves.

msi.png

I noticed the spike happens only when the GPU temp is 72c or higher it doesn't do it at 71c.

is there any places with fan curve recommendations? the games I play get my GPU to 72c easily and I am concerned pushing the fans will deteriorate their lifespan.