[SOLVED] GPU fried? Please help :(

D

Deleted member 2905763

Yesterday, my PC randomly shut down while I was in another room. Approx 5 year-old custom-built gaming PC. I couldn't get it to start up, the LEDs on the mobo would light but no fans spinning. I tried reseating many parts but no luck. Eventually I decided my PSU was dead so I replaced it -- the PC worked normally for a few hours! Until i heard a POP and some smoke came out of the tower. I couldn't identify which part fried, but after some experimentation it seems like the PC will start if I remove the GPU entirely. Can I safely assume the GPU is fried and if it replace it, all will be good? Or is the mobo also a problem?

I use this PC for my full-time job so any timely advice is greatly appreciated. See pics of GPU below.

View: https://imgur.com/a/MFS8vVG

Full specs:
Windows 10
Intel i7-7700K CPU
Asus MAXIMUS IX CODE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Samsung 960 PRO 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB GAMING Video Card
Corsair RM850x PSU
Additional SSD and HDD attached

Data on drives should be intact and recoverable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yea, the new psu is pretty decent. I wouldn't be overly suspect of the new PSU as it should have good overload protection. Burnt smell is a pretty good indicator that the GPU is toast, especially if fans will turn when the GPU is not in place. A bit of wisdom. I would unplug the power cord and keep the unit off until you start swapping parts. Even with overload protection the PSU can only take so may hits when a short is present before it takes damage. I kind of live by the old adage if it smells burnt, and it looks burnt it is probably burnt.... I would be looking for a new GPU.
Can I safely assume the GPU is fried and if it replace it, all will be good? Or is the mobo also a problem?
you can always assume but there's no way to tell for sure without some troubleshooting with replacement parts.

it's possible even that if connected via PCIe power to the power supply that the previous one could have damaged the card and lead to it's eventual burning out.

D

Deleted member 2905763

you can always assume but there's no way to tell for sure without some troubleshooting with replacement parts.

it's possible even that if connected via PCIe power to the power supply that the previous one could have damaged the card and lead to it's eventual burning out.
I guess my fear is buying a new GPU and frying it instantly. I replaced PSU as you can see in my original post so I would hope it’s not the problem (seems to be turning on without gpu attached)

D

Deleted member 2905763

Obviously not there looking at the rig but I would be suspect of the new PSU blowing up. I know this sounds dumb but pull out the psu and smell it. The acrid odor of burnt transformer is pretty unmistakable. When you put in the new unit what was it. Some of the offbrand stuff is really bad.
the 1080 is what smells like burnt plastic. PSU smells fine - corsair RM850X brand new

my fear is buying a new GPU and frying it instantly.
you could take the components to a local shop and have them do the testing for you.
let them burn out their testing hardware if it may be the problem.

RMx series are very reliable so i wouldn't be too concerned about the new PSU.
whether the motherboard had anything to do with it could be an issue, but not usually.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Yea, the new psu is pretty decent. I wouldn't be overly suspect of the new PSU as it should have good overload protection. Burnt smell is a pretty good indicator that the GPU is toast, especially if fans will turn when the GPU is not in place. A bit of wisdom. I would unplug the power cord and keep the unit off until you start swapping parts. Even with overload protection the PSU can only take so may hits when a short is present before it takes damage. I kind of live by the old adage if it smells burnt, and it looks burnt it is probably burnt.... I would be looking for a new GPU.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2905763

Update: a PC repair technician diagnosed the GPU as fried (you can see some of the fried components in my picture). Said mobo etc. look fine and I could just replace GPU. Hope he is correct.