Status
Not open for further replies.

talhaskrillx

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
My GPU is stuck on PCIe v4.0 x4 but it's supposed to be running at x16 ?

I am also losing noticeable performance in games and applications.
All monitoring software are reporting that GPU is running on x4 only. (CPU-z, HWinfo, Nvidia control panel).
Benchmark also shows loss of performance:
Uniengine superposition : 8000 points on 1080p extreme
Attaching reference picture for my configuration on the motherboard:
Motherboard config image
HWINFO screenshot
GPU-Z screenshot
GPU-z with render test screenshot

What I did try:
  • Installed the latest bios (currently on 4408)
  • Updated chipset for CPU
  • Update windows( currently on win 11 22h2 build 22621.1194)
  • Install the latest GPU drivers (DDU method)
  • Bios PCI lanes set to gen 4 and also tried gen 3 no change.
  • Removed hard drives from slots on the right of the mobo.
  • Reseated GPU and CPU
  • Installed the latest chipset drivers.
  • Tired setting link state to off, moderate and maximum.
  • Tried different drivers for GPU currently on 528.49
I also tried the Heaven benchmark with everything on ultra and 1080P and the scores I got are :
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Superposition benchmark gave me:
8563 score

System specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
Cooler: Deepcool LS 520 AIO
GPU: Zotac RTX 3070 8GB
motherboard: Asus Tuf gaming plus x570
Ram: 4 DIMMs of G-skills Ripjaws-V 8GB @ 3600MHZ (32GB total)
NVME: WD black sn750 SE gen 4
2x SATA SSD 128GB
Harddives: 2 x 1TB 7200rpm

UPDATE:
I fixed this problem by cleaning the contact point (Gold Bars) on the GPU and PCIe slots.

I will also mention some steps you can take:
  • Update GPU drivers, if already on the latest try older version.
  • Check CPU for bent pins.
  • Reset GPU and CPU, sometimes the CPU cooler has too much pressure on the CPU and that would cause the CPU to underperfom.
  • Update bios if possible. Also if you on the latest bios try the older version.
  • Update CPU chipset drivers if you are on the latest try the older version.
  • Try updating GPU Vbios (But please take extra caution because this step could brick you GPU)
  • Remove every sata cable or M.2 attached to the motherboard. Just run a single SSD or harddrive with windows on it to check if that is causing the issue.
  • Try changing GPU slot
  • Try resetting the BIOS or CMOS
  • Run single stick of RAM.
Heaven benchmark with everything on ultra and 1080P (After FIX):
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Last edited:
Hmm, I have almost the same board, maybe try to run another test like Heaven benchmark or even a game and see if it stays at x4, Try also resetting the bios to defaults, don't even bother with XMP/DOCP or anything else and just boot back up and see if its at x16, once its verified and working, then go back and set XMP/DOCP.

Can temporarily install windows on a sata drive and remove the m.2 and see if the GPU goes back to x16, though it shouldn't really matter, that M.2 shouldn't mess with the top PCI-E slot. Make sure power plan is set to high performance just to rule out a power plan issue.

talhaskrillx

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
Hmm, I have almost the same board, maybe try to run another test like Heaven benchmark or even a game and see if it stays at x4, Try also resetting the bios to defaults, don't even bother with XMP/DOCP or anything else and just boot back up and see if its at x16, once its verified and working, then go back and set XMP/DOCP.

Can temporarily install windows on a sata drive and remove the m.2 and see if the GPU goes back to x16, though it shouldn't really matter, that M.2 shouldn't mess with the top PCI-E slot.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
So it stays at x4 while benchmarking.
I also tried default bios settings and then straight to windows desktop, doesn't seem to change.
Also I should point out that I have M.2 in the lower slot. Please check the motherboard config that I am using.
Here it is : Mobo config
I also tried the Heaven benchmark with everything on ultra and 1080P and the scores I got are :
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

8563 score

I would remove the M.2 SSD temporarily just to check. While I agree that it should not be interfering with the PCIe slot, that board has a lot of Gen 4 connectors, both PCIe slots and both M.2 slots, so there may be some interruption happening. I dont see any warnings for the board about the M.2 slots disabling or downgrading any other connections, but that information is usually not found in marketing materials or regular specs anyway. Though I do see on the ASUS website "2 x M.2 x4 PCIe Gen 4 & SATA mode" as a spec for the M.2 slots.

talhaskrillx

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
I would remove the M.2 SSD temporarily just to check. While I agree that it should not be interfering with the PCIe slot, that board has a lot of Gen 4 connectors, both PCIe slots and both M.2 slots, so there may be some interruption happening. I dont see any warnings for the board about the M.2 slots disabling or downgrading any other connections, but that information is usually not found in marketing materials or regular specs anyway. Though I do see on the ASUS website "2 x M.2 x4 PCIe Gen 4 & SATA mode" as a spec for the M.2 slots.
I did remove the M.2 and ran windows through Sata SSD. It doesn't seem to change.
Then I disconnected everything including both my hard drives and all Sata cables from mobo and just ran windows through Sata SSD same results.
Also tried to move M.2 to the upper slot that is near the CPU.
No change.

talhaskrillx

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
I did remove the M.2 and ran windows through Sata SSD. It doesn't seem to change.
Then I disconnected everything including both my hard drives and all Sata cables from mobo and just ran windows through Sata SSD same results.
Also tried to move M.2 to the upper slot that is near the CPU.
No change.
So I noticed that under load CPU-Z is reporting that the current link speed is 16.0 GT/s which I guess is the max x570 chipset can do. Correct me If I am wrong.
Also, check this screenshot out so you can verify it yourself.
CPU-Z Report
I am hoping that it's a bug or something because if it's not. I need to be expecting the worse :(

It really sounds as though this is a BIOS setting issue. Make sure that settings for PCIEX_1 (should be where the GPU is) are all set to auto, and that none of the RAID/Bifurcation modes are selected. Some of these will absolutely cause what you are seeing here. If finding no issue there, and if you have not already done so it may be wise to record any custom settings you in the have in the BIOS (overclocks, boot stuff) and reset to defaults.

My GPU is stuck on PCIe v4.0 x4 but it's supposed to be running at x16 ?

I am also losing noticeable performance in games and applications.
All monitoring software are reporting that GPU is running on x4 only. (CPU-z, HWinfo, Nvidia control panel).
Benchmark also shows loss of performance:
Uniengine superposition : 8000 points on 1080p extreme
Attaching reference picture for my configuration on the motherboard:
Motherboard config image
HWINFO screenshot
GPU-Z screenshot
GPU-z with render test screenshot

What I did try:
  • Installed the latest bios (currently on 4408)
  • Updated chipset for CPU
  • Update windows( currently on win 11 22h2 build 22621.1194)
  • Install the latest GPU drivers (DDU method)
  • Bios PCI lanes set to gen 4 and also tried gen 3 no change.
  • Removed hard drives from slots on the right of the mobo.
  • Reseated GPU and CPU
  • Installed the latest chipset drivers.
  • Tired setting link state to off, moderate and maximum.
  • Tried different drivers for GPU currently on 528.49
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

8563 score

System specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
Cooler: Deepcool LS 520 AIO
GPU: Zotac RTX 3070 8GB
motherboard: Asus Tuf gaming plus x570
Ram: 4 DIMMs of G-skills Ripjaws-V 8GB @ 3600MHZ (32GB total)
NVME: WD black sn750 SE gen 4
2x SATA SSD 128GB
Harddives: 2 x 1TB 7200rpm

New or used GPU? Are you in slot 1?

talhaskrillx

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
I am taking my system to a local computer store.
Fingers crossed 🤞
Will single out the source of problem. It's either cpu, gpu or motherboard.
Will report back to you guys. Thanks a lot for all you precious feedback and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts