Question GPU performance not constant

Sep 16, 2024
Hi,

I built a gaming PC back in 2022, and since then Im having many issues regarding GPUs. The first GPU I got was a RTX3060, that was send back and forth to warranty tree times, because of performance and system problems. So nvidia gave back my money, and I got myself a RTX3070 Ti. It is performing a lot better, and many of the system/windows problems I had is gone (most of it Kernel-power errors). Despite some times (once every two months at least) I get a white light from the MB (asus tuf gaming x570-plus/br) that indicates GPU problem, and I just force restart the PC and it works fine again. Shouldnt do that, but I dont know what it causes yet.

My main problem here is that the GPU performance is not constant. I play a lot of RDR2, and this GPU is suposed to run this game easily at 1080p. Sometimes I get more than 75fps average, and other times I get like 35fps or lower, exactly on the same spot in the game. When I get this low fps I restart the PC and run the game again until it reaches the 75fps average. Sometimes the FPS drops midgame with nothing else runing on the system besides the game. I have the same problem with other games too, like Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding.

Some data to help: GPU temps never get higher than 67° C, same for processor (water cooled). Tested the PSU performance and its working fine. Interesting fact is that when the game is performing well, PSU energy raises at least at 230W, with a average of 180W. When I start the game and is performing poorly the energy is like 150W maximum. So, I dont know if its an lack of power problem.

My build :

MB: asus tuf gaming x570-plus/br
Processor: Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: 2x 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz (running at 2133Mhz, I know its running at base speed but I tested at higher speeds and the issue still remained)
STORAGE : system : ssd 1 tb kingston fury renegade m.2 2280 pcie
games: ssd sandisk 480gb SATA
GPU: RTX 3070 Ti
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair RM850x - 850W

Some additional info: Im using two separated cables from the PSU to power the GPU, not using pigtails. / Already tried a clean driver instalation using DDU / RAMs are installed in the correct place described by the MB manual

Hope someone can help me! Thanks everybody

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair RM850x - 850W
How old is the PSU in your build and what did it power throughout it's tenure?

MB: asus tuf gaming x570-plus/br
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

RAM: 2x 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz (running at 2133Mhz, I know its running at base speed but I tested at higher speeds and the issue still remained)
Try and manually set the frequency for the ram at DDR4-3200MHz, leaving the voltage and timings on Auto. See how that works for you. Also, you can use the timings shown on the DDR4-3600MHz ram kit in BIOS and see if they stick while under DDR4-3200MHz.