Question GPU refuses to boot with new motherboard

Jul 17, 2022
So recently I decided to get some new parts for a PC build while re-using some old parts.

I got a new case, a Ryzen 5 5600X to upgrade from an Intel i3-9100F, a new PSU (EVGA 750W GQ from a Thermaltake Smart 500W), a new motherboard (ASUS Prime B450M-A II from a Gigabyte B360M-DS3H) and an M2 SSD.

All was going well (I had only installed the CPU, cooler, M2 SSD, power supply and GPU and connected a monitor and keyboard) until I decided to do the first boot test by using a screwdriver to power on the system and it seems that every component was working fine except for the GPU (installed by PCIe and a PSU VGA cable) which would not start, which is some Sapphire RX 590. Big issue since the Ryzen 5 5600X needs a discrete GPU. I started troubleshooting. I tried using one stick of RAM, didn't work. Re-inserted RAM and GPU multiple times, didn't work. Disconnected and reconnected the PSU cables multiple times, didn't work. Adjusted the cooler, didn't work. Etc. etc. etc. I even reinstalled my GPU into my old build to see if I hadn't just accidentally broken the GPU and sure enough, it worked fine. To see if it was my new PSU, I connected the required PSU cables to my old PC and sure enough, it was booting, and I was even using the screwdriver to power on method. Unfortunately, I do not have a spare GPU to test if that specific GPU just doesn't want to work with my motherboard for some reason.

At this point, I got really desperate and either assumed I accidentally shorted my new motherboard or the PCIe port was just DOA somehow and ordered a replacement off of Amazon, the same one. I installed every component again as meticulous as possible and sure enough, the exact same issue came up. If it's not my GPU, not my motherboard, not my PSU and not my RAM, what is it? Please help. The components I used are listed above. Also, my motherboard does display an orange light when the PSU is powered on, however the manual does not disclose what it means.

I imagine your motherboard needs a BIOS update to run the 5600x. Version 2409 and after support 5000 series cpu's. Luckily your motherboard has the BIOS flash feature so you wont need a previous generation cpu in order to run the update. If you have never updated a BIOS before, familiarise yourself with the procedure by watching some videos, (there's probably a video out there specific to your motherboard,) it's pretty simple but if done incorrectly, you can brick your board.

Jul 17, 2022
I imagine your motherboard needs a BIOS update to run the 5600x. Version 2409 and after support 5000 series cpu's. Luckily your motherboard has the BIOS flash feature so you wont need a previous generation cpu in order to run the update. If you have never updated a BIOS before, familiarise yourself with the procedure by watching some videos, (there's probably a video out there specific to your motherboard,) it's pretty simple but if done incorrectly, you can brick your board.

All the reviews say the current revision and a sticker on my board say that the 5000 series CPUs are already compatible out of the gate but either way I will try flashing it, but I thought my CPU was already running. Plus, does the CPU need to run in order for the GPU to?

Jul 17, 2022
All the reviews say the current revision and a sticker on my board say that the 5000 series CPUs are already compatible out of the gate but either way I will try flashing it, but I thought my CPU was already running. Plus, does the CPU need to run in order for the GPU to?

Well, turns out I can't really use the EZ Flash tool either way because I can't get into the BIOS because I don't have any way to have a working display.

Jul 17, 2022
Ive never seen a b450 motherboard compatible straight from the box for 5000 series cpu's? I wouldnt use EZ flash either. If this is your motherboard, PRIME B450M-A II|Motherboards|ASUS Global , you can go here, download 'at least' version 2409 onto a usb drive and update your motherboard using the BIOS flash on the i/o port. Follow the instructions on the support page carefully.

So I don't need a display to flash the BIOS like this? Thanks, I'll try it out.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jul 17, 2022
no, you dont even need a cpu, gpu, just the motherboard and psu. But like i said before, if you have never done it, familiarise yourself by watching a few videos and follow the support page instructions very carefully.

So I flashed my BIOS successfully using the correct port and everything and... still nothing. My GPU still refuses to boot.