Question GPU (?) squeaking in a rhythm

sandwater12

Prominent
Sep 24, 2020
Hey, a few days ago my PC started making weird squeaking / beeping noises.
It isn't always there and when it is there it is behaving like a wave, getting louder and then quiter again multiple times. And that almost in the rhythm of a clock. It happens in idle as well as load.

The possibly relevant specs are:
-MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
-2x 2TB WD Blue 5400 HDD
-EVGA Supernova 650 G3 80 Plus Gold

I'm pretty sure it's not the HDDs as they work as they should and it's no "clicking"noise or something, I've had a dead HDD before.
All the fans seem to work fine, stopping them doesnt remove the noise.

I recorded a short clip trying to figure out where the noise comes from and when its loud it was at the GPU. Here is a link to that.

I have never experienced something like this, I think it's the GPU but I have no idea what the problem is. Could that be some electrical component that is about to die? Would there be a way to find it?

sandwater12

Prominent
Sep 24, 2020
Only moving part in a GPU is going to be the fans, have you cleaned them recently?
I haven't cleaned them in a long time as they aren't getting dirty thanks to a dust filter. However the fans shouldn't be the problem, the GPU has a "0 RPM mode" where the fans are not spinning at all most of the time and the noises are exactly the same when the fans are standing still.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS