Sep 11, 2019
I have a gtx 1080 brand new and when i play games like rainbow 6 or overwatch where i don't have the settings maxed out and my gpu shouldn't be at 100% usage it is. I know some people are probably going to say thats its good my gpu is being fully used, but it makes a loud buzzing sound when it does. Because of this i want to try and fix it so its not always at 100% usage when gaming when it shouldn't be. My cpu is a ryzen 7 3800x and when idling my GPU is at 5%, whenever i launch a game though my gpu is instantly at 100% usage.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
I have a gtx 1080 brand new and when i play games like rainbow 6 or overwatch where i don't have the settings maxed out and my gpu shouldn't be at 100% usage it is. I know some people are probably going to say thats its good my gpu is being fully used, but it makes a loud buzzing sound when it does. Because of this i want to try and fix it so its not always at 100% usage when gaming when it shouldn't be. My cpu is a ryzen 7 3800x and when idling my GPU is at 5%, whenever i launch a game though my gpu is instantly at 100% usage.
Well that's a good sign means there's no bottleneck in between these components and the gpu is reaching is maximum potential at 100%.But while it is lower (30-50)% that means the gpu is being bottlenecked by cpu which will result in a poor/low framerate.What settings are you using tho?
Correct me if i'm wrong somewhere.

Sep 11, 2019
Well that's a good sign means there's no bottleneck in between these components and the gpu is reaching is maximum potential at 100%.But while it is lower (30-50)% that means the gpu is being bottlenecked by cpu which will result in a poor/low framerate.What settings are you using tho?
Correct me if i'm wrong somewhere.
the settings im using don't matter, i could be using the lowest settings for any game and my gpu is still maxed out. i know thats good but i dont want it to be maxed out as when it is maxed out my gpu makes a very audible buzzing noise. any clue on how to fix?

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
the settings im using don't matter, i could be using the lowest settings for any game and my gpu is still maxed out. i know thats good but i dont want it to be maxed out as when it is maxed out my gpu makes a very audible buzzing noise. any clue on how to fix?
You should try cranking up the settings and see if its remains still? or try underclocking it?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
A GPU will pretty much run at always run 100% while gaming unless there's something limiting in. Sometimes this can be the CPU if it can't keep up, but you have a very good CPU so that will rarely if ever be the case.

If you're getting FPS way higher than your want or need, you could enable Vsync or set a framerate limit to reduce GPU usage.

Sep 11, 2019
A GPU will pretty much run at always run 100% while gaming unless there's something limiting in. Sometimes this can be the CPU if it can't keep up, but you have a very good CPU so that will rarely if ever be the case.

If you're getting FPS way higher than your want or need, you could enable Vsync or set a framerate limit to reduce GPU usage.
the thing is my GPU makes a really loud buzzing sound when at 100 so im tryng to get it to not be at 100% any clue?