[SOLVED] GPU Usage drops to 0% one time a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2020
Hello everybody!

I have this problem since 3 months and I didn't find a solution so far. I hope you guys can help.

Problem:
First I realized that my computer freezes while playing certain games. This freeze includes: sound stutter/freeze and graphic stutter/freeze. However I have this problem on games like Apex and Rust, but not on CS GO.
I've monitored it a couple times and saw that the GPU Usage drops to 0% at that time (CPU is operating normally).
But this freeze appears only one time a game. For example: If I start Apex it only freezes sometime during the first minutes of the game. After that there are no freezes anymore. Only if I close the game and reopen it.

Specs:

Nivida Geforce GTX 770
Intel i7-4770 3.40GHz
16GB Ram
PSU : BeQuiet 600 Watt

Let me know if you want to know more!

Thank you guys in advance!

Solution
what GPU software are you using to control clocks & voltage?
I am using the Task Manager. Already did a stress test but everything was normal.
Task Manager does not manage your GPU clocks & voltage. only shows system resources and tasks.
what GPU manufacturer software do you have installed? not Nvidia drivers, but control software like MSI's Afterburner, EVGA's Precision X1, etc.

if your GPU shows no errors and regular FPS when running an advanced stress test like FurMark then I would imagine it could be something else causing the issue in these particular games.
maybe RAM, maybe CPU, maybe system power, maybe system drivers.

make sure motherboard drivers are installed and up to date. make sure BIOS is latest available...
what GPU software are you using to control clocks & voltage?
I am using the Task Manager. Already did a stress test but everything was normal.
Task Manager does not manage your GPU clocks & voltage. only shows system resources and tasks.
what GPU manufacturer software do you have installed? not Nvidia drivers, but control software like MSI's Afterburner, EVGA's Precision X1, etc.

if your GPU shows no errors and regular FPS when running an advanced stress test like FurMark then I would imagine it could be something else causing the issue in these particular games.

make sure motherboard drivers are installed and up to date. make sure BIOS is latest available. then make sure PCIe settings are set correctly in the BIOS.

delete all GPU drivers with DDU. reinstall the latest Nvidia standard set.
install your GPU manufacturer's latest GPU control software and verify power/voltage settings are set correctly.

Solution
Feb 21, 2020

make sure motherboard drivers are installed and up to date. make sure BIOS is latest available. then make sure PCIe settings are set correctly in the BIOS.

install your GPU manufacturer's latest GPU control software and verify power/voltage settings are set correctly.

I installed MSI Afterburner to monitor.

GPU usage drops to 0%
CPU usage is really high during the freeze (91%-100%)
Voltage limit drops to 0

I will reinstall all drivers

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2020

This worked for me, thank you!

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Aug 27, 2020

This worked for me too, thank you so much man!

Status
Not open for further replies.