Question GPU usage drops to 0 while gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2019
I ve been losing my mind over this, i cant find a fix for it, maybe a month or two ago i started notecing fps drops while playing games and also if i have a game open and i browse the internet (opera) it will sometimes stutter when the gpu usage drops. Please i need you help.

My pc specs:
CPU R5 1600 overclocked to 3.6ghz
GPU Asus 1060 6gb oc edition
MOBO Msi B350 gaming plus
RAM 16gb corsair vengance 2800 Mhz
3 Storage drives 250gb ssd, 1tb hdd, 3tb external.
PSU 650RMX (i belive) corsair
TEMPS are ussualy in the 60 for the gpu and 60 for the cpu, mobo stays at 45.

P.S. how can i attach photos from MSi afterburner?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Afterburner does that on my rigs at times as well. GPU usage will sit at 0% for a bit, then work again. The GPU is obviously not at 0% usage if you are getting a display. The stutter may be a separate issue, however.

Post pics by taking a screenshot, saving it, and using something like imgur to store the pic. Then add the link they provide to your post.

Aug 28, 2019
Afterburner does that on my rigs at times as well. GPU usage will sit at 0% for a bit, then work again. The GPU is obviously not at 0% usage if you are getting a display. The stutter may be a separate issue, however.

Post pics by taking a screenshot, saving it, and using something like imgur to store the pic. Then add the link they provide to your post.
any ideas with the info i provided ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately, I can't see the AB data clearly in the video, and it is covered up with the lag symbol.
  1. What is the CPU usage vs GPU usage at the time of the momentary freeze?
  2. What else is running in the background while you game?
  3. have you run a Malwarebytes scan? (poorly written malware can eat clock cycles) Wouldn't hurt to do a virus scan as well.
  4. Have you run a CCleaner scan? (fixes a bunch of software conflicts, registry errors, etc.) Do the Clean and Registry portions both.

Aug 28, 2019
Unfortunately, I can't see the AB data clearly in the video, and it is covered up with the lag symbol.
  3. have you run a Malwarebytes scan? (poorly written malware can eat clock cycles) Wouldn't hurt to do a virus scan as well.
  4. Have you run a CCleaner scan? (fixes a bunch of software conflicts, registry errors, etc.) Do the Clean and Registry portions both.
  1. i will do some more testing on different games tommorrow as i dont have time atm
  2. In the background i have razer synapse, msi afterburner, nvidia and steam
  3. I did do it 3 times (but i will still do it once more just to be sure)
  4. i just did it an hour ago still no difference
I Also did a fresh start in windows settings which didnt help either.
tbh i am starting to lose my mind. nothing is working for me idk what to do.

P.S. i removed the title "lag" and just put a "." maybe take a look again if it helps.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019
Here is another example with the game Dirt Rally.
Settings HIGH at 144hz
Same issues.
Here are MSI afterburner monitors.
The temps on the CPU at the moment the gup usage drops is 55C
View: https://imgur.com/a/y6H7rAA

View: https://imgur.com/a/4QcLC7u

View: https://imgur.com/a/IAagj2q

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
  1. i will do some more testing on different games tommorrow as i dont have time atm
  2. In the background i have razer synapse, msi afterburner, nvidia and steam
  3. I did do it 3 times (but i will still do it once more just to be sure)
  4. i just did it an hour ago still no difference
I Also did a fresh start in windows settings which didnt help either.
tbh i am starting to lose my mind. nothing is working for me idk what to do.

P.S. i removed the title "lag" and just put a "." maybe take a look again if it helps.
This is still what I see. Can't read squat. Are you on low resolution or something?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your components are fine for gaming. What about your internet? WiFi or Ethernet? Good Ping? Any Jitter?
From my experience, you need at least 25 Mbps for consistent good gaming. That includes your upload as well.
Failing network equipment might be another area to look if this just started happening and continues. Especially if it happens in areas other than gaming.
Router, Modem...

Aug 28, 2019
Your components are fine for gaming. What about your internet? WiFi or Ethernet? Good Ping? Any Jitter?
From my experience, you need at least 25 Mbps for consistent good gaming. That includes your upload as well.
Failing network equipment might be another area to look if this just started happening and continues. Especially if it happens in areas other than gaming.
Router, Modem...
any other suggestion? If it helps the longer the pc is on the worse the stutter will become. I ordered a proper thermal paste to see if maybe the silicon transfer compaund is to blame.

Aug 28, 2019
You said : "maybe the silicon transfer compaund is to blame." If it was you would be getting high temperatures. Can you try a different power supply ? Or Check/inspect all your power connections on your board and GPU.
yeah thats what i expected but i still put on a proper thermal paste, but the issue is still there. The PSU is 650 RMX form corsair and its around 2 years old. I checked the connection on the gpu it seems to be fine. The problem ive got is i cant swap out the psu as this is the only one i own. And this is my first pc.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Try unhooking your other drives temporarily to see if that makes a difference. Getting worse over time usually means something is heating. Any USB items connected. I know one guy couldn't boot and it turned out to be one of his hard drives. Old telephone guys use to unplug an plug connections to clean them for a better connection.

Aug 28, 2019
Try unhooking your other drives temporarily to see if that makes a difference. Getting worse over time usually means something is heating. Any USB items connected. I know one guy couldn't boot and it turned out to be one of his hard drives. Old telephone guys use to unplug an plug connections to clean them for a better connection.
so you are saying i should unplug my hdd and my external drive and just let it run with my sdd? (i have windows on ssd)

Status
Not open for further replies.