Question GPU usage fluctuations, Fps drops, and texture popping or poor LOD (bad distance draw) ?

Aug 17, 2022
Hello,
I got an Rtx 3070(paired with a ryzen 5 2600) for a few weeks now and im experiencing gpu usage fluctuations in almost every games.(Stray, spiderman, rdr2, Sea of thieves...and many more).. it happens every time i look at a certain building or environment that have things to render or process.. for example in Rdr2 all is fine when im running in the wilds but as soon as i get near a town its starts fluctuating(gpu usage) then followed by fps drops.

Another thing is im seeing sheep disappearing and reappearing. Same issue in spiderman, i have to get close to buildings for the texture to process or its just a bland and dull building from a small distance. In sea of thieves all is good in the open water but when i reach an outpost or island, same issue with lots of fps drops. Also i know my ryzen 5 2600 is not fast enough for the 3070 but im playing on 2k or 4k to minimize bottleneck and i can keep usage at 99%.. however i still get these usage drops along with fps drops.

I also tried xmp on my ram to 3000mhz and it didnt solve the issue.. im playing on NVMe ssd. Also tried the same game on Hdd.. same issue. Temps and airflow are fine in my rig: Gpu at 65 - 70, cpu at 50 something i believe... i also tried overcloacking my cpu to 4,1 ghz and the issue still persists. Already uninstalled drivers using Ddu and reinstalling..

Also everything seems to be running fine on benchmarking, like in Uniheaven im having constant 100% usage with 100+ fps in extreme.
My usage and fps is really stable when theres not much going on in the game for example if im in an open area.. it feels really smooth then.

Full PC Specs:
Rtx 3070 aorus master
amd ryzen 5 2600(cooler master as air cooling - hyper 212)
aorus gigabyte b450 m
a silverstone psu 750w 80+ Gold
16 gb ram at 2600mhz speed
1tb nvme m.2 SSD + 2 Tb HDD

Hello,
I got an Rtx 3070(paired with a ryzen 5 2600) for a few weeks now and im experiencing gpu usage fluctuations in almost every games.(Stray, spiderman, rdr2, Sea of thieves...and many more).. it happens every time i look at a certain building or environment that have things to render or process.. for example in Rdr2 all is fine when im running in the wilds but as soon as i get near a town its starts fluctuating(gpu usage) then followed by fps drops.

Another thing is im seeing sheep disappearing and reappearing. Same issue in spiderman, i have to get close to buildings for the texture to process or its just a bland and dull building from a small distance. In sea of thieves all is good in the open water but when i reach an outpost or island, same issue with lots of fps drops. Also i know my ryzen 5 2600 is not fast enough for the 3070 but im playing on 2k or 4k to minimize bottleneck and i can keep usage at 99%.. however i still get these usage drops along with fps drops.

I also tried xmp on my ram to 3000mhz and it didnt solve the issue.. im playing on NVMe ssd. Also tried the same game on Hdd.. same issue. Temps and airflow are fine in my rig: Gpu at 65 - 70, cpu at 50 something i believe... i also tried overcloacking my cpu to 4,1 ghz and the issue still persists. Already uninstalled drivers using Ddu and reinstalling..

Also everything seems to be running fine on benchmarking, like in Uniheaven im having constant 100% usage with 100+ fps in extreme.
My usage and fps is really stable when theres not much going on in the game for example if im in an open area.. it feels really smooth then.

Full PC Specs:
Rtx 3070 aorus master
amd ryzen 5 2600(cooler master as air cooling - hyper 212)
aorus gigabyte b450 m
a silverstone psu 750w 80+ Gold
16 gb ram at 2600mhz speed
1tb nvme m.2 SSD + 2 Tb HDD
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...22.706.zip?v=8221efa3b056086a2a4c34819e778697

Chipset drivers

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...m_f63d.zip?v=1885d3db0cdcabd826afcb7e06e97589
Bios

Aug 17, 2022
hello all, i need help
Specs: i have an Rtx 3070 Aorus Master ,ryzen 5 2600, 16 gb ram,nvme ssd,gigabyte aorus b450 and silverstone 750w gold

Problem: LOD issues/poor draw distance(all games) and GPU usage fluctuations followed by FPS drops(not in all games) - I see objects, small textures and shadows appearing while i move forward.. i can get in a range where if i make a step backwards it dissapears and a step forward it appears. And it can be happening super close or mid range.

Games tested: Rdr2(LOD issue), Spiderman remastered(Gpu usage drop,fps drop), Resident evil village(LOD issue), Conan exiles(Low Issue), Rogue company(LOD issue), Stray(Gpu usage drop issue), Metro Exodus(Gpu usage drop)

Tested solutions that dint work: Tried xmp at 2800 and 3000mhz(also tried different sticks of Ram, tried overclocking cpu to 4.1 Ghz, optimized Nvidia control panel towards performance and then towards Quality, Fresh Install Windows, Reset Bios to default, Reseated GPU and Ram, changed DP cable, Run games at Max quality then Max performance then optimized(none worked).

CPU bottleneck Issue - I know my CPU is not quite strong for a 3070 but im playing on 2K (native) or 4k resolution to minimize to bottleneck and i can reach full GPU usage..However i can still experience GPU Usage fluctuations in come games( when i look at a specific places for example like a road of crowded people)

I want to know a fix for this and to know if its GPU hardware related or maybe CPU too weak for 3070..
I was thinking that it might be the Motherboard not communicating data properly but idk.(Motherboard 3 yrs old and was used for mining)
Do you guys have any idea what might be causing it?

Games tested: Rdr2(LOD issue), Spiderman remastered(Gpu usage drop,fps drop), Resident evil village(LOD issue), Conan exiles(Low Issue), Rogue company(LOD issue), Stray(Gpu usage drop issue), Metro Exodus(Gpu usage drop)
Where is RD2 installed, is this on the 2TB HDD or the 1TB NVME? What frame rate are you trying to play at, are you playing at a locked 60hz with v-sync on or more than that?

Aug 17, 2022
Where is RD2 installed, is this on the 2TB HDD or the 1TB NVME? What frame rate are you trying to play at, are you playing at a locked 60hz with v-sync on or more than that?
on the Nvme.. Most games are on the Nvme except for multiplayer ones or resident evil village(for testing purposes).. but same problem with HDD
and im playing on 2k ultra or 4k high.. 60+ fps when optimized..
vsync is not on(144hz Monitor)
Also tried lowering the resolution and graphics for more performance..same thing.. Playing on max graphics also same issue

on the Nvme.. Most games are on the Nvme except for multiplayer ones or resident evil village(for testing purposes).. but same problem with HDD
and im playing on 2k ultra or 4k high.. 60+ fps when optimized..
vsync is not on(144hz Monitor)
Also tried lowering the resolution and graphics for more performance..same thing.. Playing on max graphics also same issue
Oh ok, if games are on the NVME then it's nothing to do with I/O, I thought they were on the hard drive. I would cap the frame rate at 60, that CPU is an inappropriate pairing for 144hz with a 3070.

Aug 17, 2022
Oh ok, if games are on the NVME then it's nothing to do with I/O, I thought they were on the hard drive. I would cap the frame rate at 60, that CPU is an inappropriate pairing for 144hz with a 3070.
yeah i was thinking it might be the cpu.. Reviewers of this Gpu and Cpu paired said it works fine(performance wise) at 2k or 4k and thats what i was doing.. but i dont know about their LOD.. if they experienced any issue.

CPU bottleneck Issue - I know my CPU is not quite strong for a 3070 but im playing on 2K (native) or 4k resolution to minimize to bottleneck and i can reach full GPU usage..However i can still experience GPU Usage fluctuations in come games( when i look at a specific places for example like a road of crowded people)
I wouldn't actively seek high GPU usage. What's important is smooth consistent gameplay. The town areas of RD2 are the most intensive, you will quickly become CPU bound if you are attempting to run with an unlocked frame rate. I would try setting your refresh rate to 60hz, enabling vsync and then trying RD2 and see if the game plays normally.

Have you customised any Nvidia settings by the way?

Aug 17, 2022
I wouldn't actively seek high GPU usage. What's important is smooth consistent gameplay. The town areas of RD2 are the most intensive, you will quickly become CPU bound if you are attempting to run with an unlocked frame rate. I would try setting your refresh rate to 60hz, enabling vsync and then trying RD2 and see if the game plays normally.

Have you customised any Nvidia settings by the way?
Yes i agree.. im actually seeking smooth gameplay at 60fps.. 2k ultra or 4k high and optimized.. i know its a cpu that can't keep up so concerning the Cpu i think upgrading it will sort the GPU usage drop issue.. however i still experience the LOD issues no matter what i tried.

Yes i agree.. im actually seeking smooth gameplay at 60fps.. 2k ultra or 4k high and optimized.. i know its a cpu that can't keep up so concerning the Cpu i think upgrading it will sort the GPU usage drop issue.. however i still experience the LOD issues no matter what i tried.
I would expect something like RD2 to be smooth at 60hz at 2k on a Ryzen 5 2600, it's not a weak CPU, it's just 144hz on an intensive game like that would push it to it's limit.

The LOD issue is weird, have you ever adjusted the settings in the Nvidia control panel, I think some of those might affect LOD.

Aug 17, 2022
I would expect something like RD2 to be smooth at 60hz at 2k on a Ryzen 5 2600, it's not a weak CPU, it's just 144hz on an intensive game like that would push it to it's limit.

The LOD issue is weird, have you ever adjusted the settings in the Nvidia control panel, I think some of those might affect LOD.
its smooth for most part but sometimes in a town it drops.. maybe when it gets more CPU intensive(gpu usage drops)...
Yeah on control panel i tried to go full quality and full performance.. none worked.. even tried restore defaults..

Also my cpu scores lower points in benchmarking(CpuZ).. i tried multiple times and never reached their value..(Stock clock).. dont know if this has something to do with the LOD

its smooth for most part but sometimes in a town it drops.. maybe when it gets more CPU intensive(gpu usage drops)...
Yeah on control panel i tried to go full quality and full performance.. none worked.. even tried restore defaults..

Also my cpu scores lower points in benchmarking(CpuZ).. i tried multiple times and never reached their value..(Stock clock).. dont know if this has something to do with the LOD
Are you saying it drops even when running at 60hz? When you say your CPU score is lower, I assume when compared to reviewers values. How much lower is it? Bare in mind they do their benchmarks on a clean machine.

When your PC is idling on the desktop what's you CPU and GPU usage in Task Manager?

Aug 17, 2022
Are you saying it drops even when running at 60hz? When you say your CPU score is lower, I assume when compared to reviewers values. How much lower is it? Bare in mind they do their benchmarks on a clean machine.

When your PC is idling on the desktop what's you CPU and GPU usage in Task Manager?
yes when the Gpu usage fluctuates, i get a massive fps lag for like 1 sec.. if im playing on 65 fps constant, it can drop to 50 - 55 when the fluctuation happens..
my PC is clean as well.. 2 days ago i did a fresh windows install..
Cpu at 5 - 10% idle and GPU usually at 0 but for some reason today its going up and down.. from 10 to even 50% when idle.. idk why

edited: okay i just checked on task manager, it is actually Nvidia container thats raising my usage when idle(Video Encode - 50%)

yes when the Gpu usage fluctuates, i get a massive fps lag for like 1 sec.. if im playing on 65 fps constant, it can drop to 50 - 55 when the fluctuation happens..
my PC is clean as well.. 2 days ago i did a fresh windows install..
Cpu at 5 - 10% idle and GPU usually at 0 but for some reason today its going up and down.. from 10 to even 50% when idle.. idk why

edited: okay i just checked on task manager, it is actually Nvidia container thats raising my usage when idle(Video Encode - 50%)
CPU sounds ok, so does that mean 3D usage is low, just video encode is high? Were you watching youtube or something at the time?

Reason I ask is possible reasons for your LOD issue are, your storage simply cannot read the game data fast enough, we've discounted this because you are using an SSD. Or something else is using your GPU or CPU. I've used a 1600X and 2700X in some of these big titles, I've never encountered any of the issues you describe. Though full disclosure I never got that far into the game with RD2.

Aug 17, 2022
CPU sounds ok, so does that mean 3D usage is low, just video encode is high? Were you watching youtube or something at the time?

Reason I ask is possible reasons for your LOD issue are, your storage simply cannot read the game data fast enough, we've discounted this because you are using an SSD. Or something else is using your GPU or CPU. I've used a 1600X and 2700X in some of these big titles, I've never encountered any of the issues you describe. Though full disclosure I never got that far into the game with RD2.
At idle the 3D usage was at zero i believe... And no i even restarted my pc and my ram was at 25% and gpu 40 - 50%.. Only opened task manager.. At 1 point i was browsing and you guys told me to check usage.. I did and saw my ram was at 90% which was weird... Only chrome and like 4 tabs were open with no video.. Then i restarted and got the results that i mentioned above.. I also tried games on both ssd and hdd.. Same issue... Do you think it has something to do with my motherboard, which may be sending wrong info or delayed one?

At idle the 3D usage was at zero i believe... And no i even restarted my pc and my ram was at 25% and gpu 40 - 50%.. Only opened task manager.. At 1 point i was browsing and you guys told me to check usage.. I did and saw my ram was at 90% which was weird... Only chrome and like 4 tabs were open with no video.. Then i restarted and got the results that i mentioned above.. I also tried games on both ssd and hdd.. Same issue... Do you think it has something to do with my motherboard, which may be sending wrong info or delayed one?
I've only encountered LOD issues on my machine when I've had big open world games on a hard drive or ran out of VRAM. Neither of those should apply in your case. Running out of RAM could cause this issue, but under normal circumstances 16GB is plenty for gaming.

In terms of the motherboard, PCI-E link speed could potentially cause these problems but I think we checked that. Apart from the PCI-E speed, I've only ever gotten stability issues from bad motherboards, not performance related issues.

Aug 17, 2022
for the high Gpu usage at idle it was just Nvidia Shadow play(used to record).. went back to 0% when turned off

Aug 17, 2022
I've only encountered LOD issues on my machine when I've had big open world games on a hard drive or ran out of VRAM. Neither of those should apply in your case. Running out of RAM could cause this issue, but under normal circumstances 16GB is plenty for gaming.

In terms of the motherboard, PCI-E link speed could potentially cause these problems but I think we checked that. Apart from the PCI-E speed, I've only ever gotten stability issues from bad motherboards, not performance related issues.
unfortunately im also encountering LOD issues on really small multiplayer games like rogue company.. which i didnt before.. i played this game for months on other GPUs(amd 580, gtx 960)
and all the games im playing whether its on ssd or hdd..