[SOLVED] GPU usage randomly drops from 80% to 15%

ADISLAV

Prominent
Nov 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

first of all I want to apologize for my English. And here's my problem. I have laptop ASUS F556UQ with Intel Core i7-7500U, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX and when I play any game (for example League of Legends, CS:GO, ETS2) my GPU usage randomly drops from stable 80% to 15% for about 30 seconds. Then for 2 minutes I have stable gpu usage and FPS and then it drops again. I've tried setting power management settings to maximum performace in NVIDIA Control Panel, setting maximum performance in windows power management, reinstalling drivers, even reinstalling entire Windows 10, but nothing worked.

I was searching on the internet for about 2 weeks for solution and I found lot of people with the same problem, but no solution I found worked for me.

ADISLAV

Prominent
Nov 28, 2020
So I've contacted NVIDIA support and they said that I have to contact the ASUS Manufacturer. They said "Don't expect such a high performance, this is not gaming notebook" but I don't think this is appropriate answer. The performance is fine I have 120 FPS in-game, but it suddenly drops so my last chance is somebody on the forum.

Are your CPU temps under control under load? Even if so, you may be facing 'turbo duration'/TDP limits where the CPU is throttled after 'x' amount of time. You might try tinkering with Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), which allows removal of the TDP/turbo duration limits, and/or possible lowering of the turbo clock speeds to 100 MHz lower speeds on all-core loads to avoid and temperature induced throttling, if applicable... (the utility is normally used for overclocking, but, as this is not possible with non-K CPU variants, it still might prove useful, and , at least one other person says they were able to use it successfully on an i3-9100F...

If your temps are not bad, perhaps just removing the boost duration limits might be enough to eliminate this 'every 2 minute FPS drop'-syndrome..

TRENDING THREADS