Question GPU works only after resetting to default in BIOS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2021
Hello,

After 3 years, my GPU just stops turning on(it started the other day) and the computer just boots via the Vega 11 on the 2400G. I was able to Factory Reset the driver through the Radeon Software, and it still didn't work.

The following morning, I reseated the GPU, and triple checked the PSU cables and the HDMI cable/ports. No problems there.
And since there are no other desktops here, I have no way to determine if the GPU or the motherboard is at fault. With that said, I tried resetting everything that I could reset. And after resetting to default in the BIOS, it started to work. Even restarted the PC multiple times to see if it was a fluke. I was also able to play games/watch videos without any problems throughout the day.

I haven't tried turning it off for x minutes and turning it on again though. Which brings me to this morning; I tried turning the PC on and the GPU, once again, isn't working. So, logically, I went into the BIOS to reset and reboot the PC. It didn't work. I did it again, and then it did work.

I cannot afford to buy a new motherboard and a new GPU at the same time in this current market, which is why I really need to know which one is dying on me.

GPU: RADEON RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC
MOBO: B450M MORTAR
BIOS Version: 1.0E Release: 11/06/2020

Thank you in advance to every one who can help!

PS: The thermal paste in the GPU is quite new, just reapplied on the 4th of April 2021. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. And the two fans on it are spinning as usual when it's under load.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021
Do you have an older card you can try in pcie slot to see if it repeats itself?

Sadly, I do not. I have no spare parts for anything yet; Makes troubleshooting even more difficult than it should.
By the way, the first time I tried turning the PC on today, it didn't work. After around 2-3 hours, I tried to turn it on again (without resetting anything) and it powered through like there's nothing wrong. So, I guess it's got nothing to do with resetting the BIOS.
The GPU is dying, isn't it?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021
I think he may be talking about a newer vbios to flash your gpu with.

Oh, yeah... My bad. Thank you for clarifying, Haven't checked that one out yet. My confidence isn't on that level, I might brick the only GPU I have. Updating the BIOS on the motherboard gives almost the same feeling, but motherboards are cheaper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.