Question Graphical Artifacts across all games/Lack of VRAM Usage in all games

Sel46290

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
So I've been having this issue that's shown in this video I'm linking here. I don't even know what to call this issue. I've read a bit about others having it, but no real solution. I decided to download CAM so that I could measure my PC Hardware while playing any games. I noticed that in every single instance, none of my VRAM was used whatsoever. Idk if this could be causing these issues. But it's something that I noticed. I even tried Day of Infamy, which asks for 2048MB of VRAM in the recommended specs. Even Escape from Tarkov requires about this much. By the way these are my specs: CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 2400 G, GPU- AMD RX 580 4GB, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Sunflower Motherboard. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, or could tell me if this is actually the issue, just let me know down below! I'll be looking more into this when I can and will post what I find down below as well.

Sel46290

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
This is most likely a faulty GPU. Your video doesn’t show anything as well
Ah I was hoping that wasn't the case. My friend said that could be it but I was hoping that it wasn't. And what do you mean? Well the vid isn't mine, just one that I found that shows my issue. It shows Low Draw Distance, this weird shimmering effect that always happens in games, but I don't think you can actually see the pixelated shadows in the vid. My issue is basically this times a hundred. To the point where all this is visible since it happens within a few meters of the player. If my GPU is faulty, could it be causing these graphical issues?

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s weird because when I watch the video it has some other image over it and won’t let me see

Sel46290

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
I don't see any issues in that video. Things like texture pop in and draw distance are likely limitations of the game.
It's weird that you guys don't notice it. But it's not a game limitation. This happens across all games as I stated. Even more modern games. So it's not a limitation in the slightest. In games I'm experiencing Very Low Draw Distance, Extremely Poor Shadow Quality, This weird shimmering effect on the edges of objects, and at times poor texture quality. And like I said this happens on all settings. From Low all the way to Ultra.

It's weird that you guys don't notice it. But it's not a game limitation. This happens across all games as I stated. Even more modern games. So it's not a limitation in the slightest. In games I'm experiencing Very Low Draw Distance, Extremely Poor Shadow Quality, This weird shimmering effect on the edges of objects, and at times poor texture quality. And like I said this happens on all settings. From Low all the way to Ultra.

I noticed nothing, so why don't you Video what yours is doing so we can see it.

Mar 13, 2019
The same issue happening to me from two months
The textures shimmering even when the camera is still
Here is my personal video with the issue
View: https://youtu.be/V45rgpyFSq4

The issue is shown at (2:30)

GTX 1060 6GB stock (tried replacing)
I5 3570 stock (tried replacing)
8gb ram 1600 stock (tried replacing)
128gb ssd for Windows 10 + this game (tried replacing)
2tb hdd for games (tried removing)
500w power supply 80+

Sel46290

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
You do have your monitor cable plugged directly into a port on your RX 580, and not one on the motherboard, right? I just want to make sure that your RX 580 is actually getting utilized, and not just the integrated graphics.
I have a prebuilt HP Rig, and on the back the port to the mobo is blocked off by a cap from the inside. The port to my RX 580 is the only one on the back that I can use without taking off the cap from the mobo one.

Sel46290

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
The same issue happening to me from two months
The textures shimmering even when the camera is still
Here is my personal video with the issue
View: https://youtu.be/V45rgpyFSq4

The issue is shown at (2:30)

GTX 1060 6GB stock (tried replacing)
I5 3570 stock (tried replacing)
8gb ram 1600 stock (tried replacing)
128gb ssd for Windows 10 + this game (tried replacing)
2tb hdd for games (tried removing)
500w power supply 80+
Yeah mine is basically this but on steroids. I was just about to record a vid of me playing Tarkov to show the issue since I just got done fiddling with OBS. I was having some problems but it's good now with OBS. So now I'm gonna go record a Tarkov session to show what's going on. Hopefully the match I join will have daylight and not be at nighttime.

Sel46290

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
At 3:05 is when the loading is done. And at the beginning you can see the shimmering already on the light bulb. I also show my settings so that you can see that I'm on high settings. Here is the vid. Throughout I show off the issues I described. Low Draw Distance, and the shimmering. You can even see it when I'm not even showing it off.

I haven't played Tarkov, so I don't know how that particular game is intended to look, but it does look like there's some bad aliasing going on. Have you tried adjusting the settings?

I notice you have it set to use FXAA antialiasing, but if the game has other antialiasing methods available, you might want to try those and see how they perform, since FXAA tends to not be particularly great at smoothing jagged edges. SSAA might work better, but would likely tank performance on that hardware, as it's essentially rendering the scene at a higher resolution and resizing it down.

Also, I saw "sharpness" was turned all the way up. I don't know what that setting does in that game, but if it's a post-process sharpening filter, it could make aliasing worse, so you might try lowering that to a middle or low setting and see if that helps.

Sel46290

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
I haven't played Tarkov, so I don't know how that particular game is intended to look, but it does look like there's some bad aliasing going on. Have you tried adjusting the settings?

I notice you have it set to use FXAA antialiasing, but if the game has other antialiasing methods available, you might want to try those and see how they perform, since FXAA tends to not be particularly great at smoothing jagged edges. SSAA might work better, but would likely tank performance on that hardware, as it's essentially rendering the scene at a higher resolution and resizing it down.

Also, I saw "sharpness" was turned all the way up. I don't know what that setting does in that game, but if it's a post-process sharpening filter, it could make aliasing worse, so you might try lowering that to a middle or low setting and see if that helps.
Thanks for the tips my dude. And I turned sharpness all the way up to see what it would do. It was basically the same exact thing as if it were turned down. At least I noticed no difference. But I'll experiment with the settings and see where they get me. Even if adjusting the settings does help the shimmering effect, it won't really help the shit draw distance that I have. I'm assuming that at this point it is a faulty GPU. What do you think?

Like Cryoburner I would admit this made my eyes hurt because of the cables were looking awful which should be corrected with AA on.
I still can't see what this shimmering effect is, it is lost on me. I do agree though that game didn't look as good as I would think it does.

Maybe just download DDU and run that and install the new drivers (you need to download the new drivers first) and then run DDU in safemode.