[SOLVED] Graphics card not being powered when using 24pin to 6pin adapter (among other issues)

BroBroBro

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
My power adapter (24 pin to 6 pin) does not want to work properly with my prebuilt HP computer (Compaq 6300 I believe).

With that extra 6 pin cable that comes from the adapter the PSU starts straight away without me even pressing the start button on the computer. Then if I press the start button the two green lights next to the button go on for a few seconds and turn off.
Sometimes, as seen in this video, the GPU does spin up a bit and is followed with a odd beeping (4 beeps with a red light with each beep).

Without the converter (regular PSU) the GPU works perfectly.

It is definitely not the PSU as I have tried 2 working ones with the same results and the computer works on its fine without the convertor.

140874277_886122802162557_6235040205266398623_o.jpg

Here is a video of it going:

video-1611567725 (streamable.com)

You can see that the motherboard is receiving power from the PSU due to the green light.

It is actually quite rare that the GPU fans spin like they do in that video. Most times it does nothing.

I have checked the manual and it says for 4 beeps its:

140917642_886125212162316_2308384344915973185_n.jpg (755×331) (fbcdn.net)

It says its a "power failure (power supply is overloaded)" and there solution does not help me as none of the parts are faulty so I am not sure what is going on here.

Thank you for reading my post.
All help is appreciated!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Untitled.png

This might not be the problem, but without pinouts public, it's hard to know for sure.

You also really need to figure what you actually have. When a patient in a hospital needs a blood transfusion, they don't go with what they "believe" the patient's blood type is, they have to know it. It hasn't bitten you yet in this case, but when dealing with electricity and gear with different pinouts, you really need to know precisely what you're working with or you risk that PC no longer being a thing.

BroBroBro

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
I did see that it said it was only compatible with that computer, but people reported that it worked with many many other prebuilt systems so I took my chance.

BroBroBro

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
Untitled.png

This might not be the problem, but without pinouts public, it's hard to know for sure.

You also really need to figure what you actually have. When a patient in a hospital needs a blood transfusion, they don't go with what they "believe" the patient's blood type is, they have to know it. It hasn't bitten you yet in this case, but when dealing with electricity and gear with different pinouts, you really need to know precisely what you're working with or you risk that PC no longer being a thing.

I stumbled across a video (I will have to find it later) and it was talking about why that adapter might not work for some prebuilts and how to fix it. It said to get it to work with some computers you might need to swap the two wires on the extra 6 pin cable. You take the left and right outermost wires and swap them.

However, I am just looking at all other possible fixes before attempting to do so.

Thank you for the help so far everyone!

BroBroBro

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
I got it all working. Here is a comment I left on a similar thread to mine:

"
I thought I might add to this thread.

I got my a 24 pin to 6 pin adapter that was initially intended for the HP Z series. After some research I took out the pins out of the p2 header (the p2 is the second plug that comes from the adapter. You have the 6 pin motherboard power and then the other one which is called p2) and all I had to do was re arrange them in the correct order (same as the computers original P2) and left the ground pins out as they were causing issues.

My Furmark (GPU benchmarking program) ran for 15 minutes using a Quadro 2000 which was connected to the motherboard via a PCI-E riser.

Soon I will purchase a decent budget card like the GTX 960 and we will see how that goes!

If people are interested I can make a Youtube video with tutorials on exactly how to do it and diagrams to explain everything.

Edit: This was for my HP Compaq 6300 SFF but I can still help people with all prebuilts as I figured out how this all works.
"

TRENDING THREADS