[SOLVED] GTA V: Unable to Detect Windows Media Player

JonCondiff

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2015
Game won't launch, it keeps telling me the above mentioned error message. I know It's installed because I tried reinstalling it to see if that would fix it. I've also tried everything I found on Steam discussions. Anyone know how to fix this? I'm fairly sure it worked before this new update that forces me to use the Rockstar Launcher.

Last edited:
Solution
Some time ago GTA V stopped requiring WMP specifically, but rather Windows Media Foundation. This is why the error that pops up says Media Player "Feature Set".

I can only assume due to what you said that the "Feature Set" allows for something WMP may not, like the ability to stream game cutscenes, vs playing them inside WMP itself. A sort of video engine vs player.

Here's how to fix it.

Some time ago GTA V stopped requiring WMP specifically, but rather Windows Media Foundation. This is why the error that pops up says Media Player "Feature Set".

I can only assume due to what you said that the "Feature Set" allows for something WMP may not, like the ability to stream game cutscenes, vs playing them inside WMP itself. A sort of video engine vs player.

Here's how to fix it.

Solution