Question GTX 1070 Code 43 Error after installing new PCI-e Card. SLI Issues

spartanv

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Hoping I can get some help here.

My second GPU is returning a code 43 error, installed in my second PCI-e port (second closest to the CPU)

PC Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte x99 Ultra Gaming
CPU: Intel i7 6800k no overclock
RAM: 2x 16gb ddr4
GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070
- Working: 1 Installed on PCI slot 4, PCI bus 5
- Not Working: 1 Installed on PCI slot 6, PCI bus 3
PSU: Super Flower N4251 1300W
Adapters: LSI Adapter, SAS 3000 Series, 8 port with 1068E
- Working, 1 installed on PCI slot 4, PCI bus 4 (not really sure why my PC is listing this as installed in the same location as my working GPU)
- This adapter seems to be part of the problem I believe, see below for details
GPU Driver Version: 26.21.14.3039 (Both cards have the same drivers installed)
Nvidia Graphics Driver: 430.39

some background.

SLI and the 2nd GPU were working (and can still work) up until I installed a card in my third PCI-e slot.

Some time ago I received a Seagate 6TB Exos SAS hard drive. This couldn't work in a SATA port but I didn't want to forego the large increase in storage that this HDD would give me. I was also unable to return it as it was a gift. So in order to get it to work I ended up purchasing an SAS PCI-e controller. I put this into my 3rd PCI-e port, worked great. Problem was, I started getting the code 43 error on my 2nd GPU.

Steps already tried.

- Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers on the card via geforece experience - (with windows update off)
-This caused everything to start working again, both cards showing no issues and functioning in device manager.
- Upon the recommended computer restart after driver reinstallation the problem came back, card reading code 43 error
- Removed the card and reinserted it

- Tried both cards individually (and separately) as the primary display card, both worked fine.
- Cards were placed in the PCI-e slot closest to the CPU

Tried a new SLI Bridge

- Reset BIOS
-Reflashed BIOS, current BIOS X99UG.F6 (most up to date version from Gigabyte)
-No specific SLI feature in BIOS

- Removed the SAS controller, this SOLVED the issue of the code 43 and the GPU worked again.
- ok, so I'll put the SAS controller in PCI-e port 4 (closest to my PSU), computer now doesn't register the drives existence

Not really sure what to make of this issue anymore, each card functions on its own, but have difficulty existing together.

If anyone has any ideas or if anyone has had this problem in the past and knows how to overcome it (so that I can have my SLI back without sacrificing the new hard drive), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Brennan

rgd1101

Don't
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X99-Ultra-Gaming-rev-10#sp
  1. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_2)
    • For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
    • When an 28 lane CPU is installed, the PCIEX16_2 slot operates at up to x8 mode.
  2. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1, PCIEX8_2)
    • The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 slot and the PCIEX8_2 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When the PCIEX8_1/PCIEX8_2 slot is populated, the PCIEX16_1/PCIEX16_2 slot operates at up to x8 mode.
    • When an 28 lane CPU is installed, the PCIEX8_2 slot becomes unavailable.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...6800k-processor-15m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html
Max # of PCI Express Lanes28

so with your cpu 28 lanes
first one is x16
second is x8
third is x8 but shared with second, which make secord x4, which doesn't work for sli
fourth is unavailable

spartanv

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I understand, thanks very much for the help, learned something new from this. Odd that a high(er) end card like this would have limitations in not being able to fully use all available PCI-e slots. In any case, another thing to look out for in my next PC build.

Thanks again for the help!

rgd1101

Don't
I understand, thanks very much for the help, learned something new from this. Odd that a high(er) end card like this would have limitations in not being able to fully use all available PCI-e slots. In any case, another thing to look out for in my next PC build.

Thanks again for the help!
my bad, different motherboard can help,
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/specifications/
28-Lane CPU-
3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 ( x16, x16/x8, x16/x8/x4) *2
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode) *3
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 (x1 mode) *3

TRENDING THREADS