[SOLVED] GTX 1070 Ti is out performing my RTX 3080, need HELP!

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
AS stated on the Title, I do not know what's going on with my computer, underperforms like HELL!

I don't need comments about bottlenecking, I've already ordered new parts to replace them all and fit with my new RTX 3080.

What I need help with is in Dota 2, I get around 100 fps, while people with 1080, 2080 get waaay more FPS than I do with the same CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nGjXMjgj1c
<----- that's one of many videos, 1070 Ti.
I need to understand what's going on? The temps are fine on CPU and GPU nothing wrong there, dual ram and everything.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37154504

I feel like I'll upgrade everything CPU, Ram, cooler, motherboard and still not get the performance I should.

Solution
Somewhat of a catty response and I personally wouldn't find amusement in other people's frustration.
Yeah, well... I suppose it is.
People blew up on AMD over bad Navi drivers and now that Nvidia appears to be having similar issues with theirs... it seems suppressed in comparison, considering they're the larger company and sell a larger volume of cards.
It was slow going, but AMD mended them. On Nvidia's end, there doesn't appear to be any feedback from them at all on what they're doing to rectify the problem.

If you spend 5 mins just scrolling through the library of pages on the NVIDIA support forums, there's countless threads, multiply them by the responses within said threads. I wouldn't say this is under the radar by...
Again, it's something with your computer. We don't know what it could be. It could be they did something with their hardware that goes beyond saying what GPU and CPU they have. It could be Windows updates over time. It could be weird driver bugs that were introduced. It could be the things you're running in the background and they're not. There are dozens and dozens of variables at play here.

Reactions: Marioss77
Between you and the person in the video, they have DDR4-3000 RAM and SSDs (you didn't report if you had them or not in the last thread). However, I doubt that the RAM and the SSD can provide that much of a performance boost.

If you really want to try to resolve this problem, you can start by either doing a clean install of Windows or start wiping things off your computer. And if you want to try, you can use drivers from around that time period, which is probably 411.63

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
Between you and the person in the video, they have DDR4-3000 RAM and SSDs (you didn't report if you had them or not in the last thread). However, I doubt that the RAM and the SSD can provide that much of a performance boost.

If you really want to try to resolve this problem, you can start by either doing a clean install of Windows or start wiping things off your computer. And if you want to try, you can use drivers from around that time period, which is probably 411.63
So are you saying 400Mhz difference on RAM, you say that it's worth the performance that his getting compared to my RTX 3080? And I do have NVME which shouldn't change performance,

Last edited:
So are you saying 400Mhz difference on RAM, you say that it's worth the performance that his getting compared to my RTX 3080? And I do have NVME which shouldn't change performance,
I'm saying it's not, considering that Skylake doesn't appear to scale very well with higher RAM speeds. The cut-off is around DDR4-2400. I'm suggesting your problem is related to whatever software/OS configuration you have, but it's impractical for us to figure out what unless you're willing to start stripping or reverting things down one by one until we solve the problem.

This isn't directed at the OP, but venting a frustration over what I'm seeing.

I wonder how many people who always say "use DDU" read the list of bullet points from where you can get it and noticed this:

9RtFYgJ.png

Also, the driver suite you get from NVIDIA and AMD covers a range of products. If you're upgrading to a new product, you don't have to update the drivers as long as they're compatible with said product. I tested this when I upgraded from a GTX 1080 to a RTX 2070 Super and saw no ill effects or performance issues. On top of this, I've almost never had a need to use DDU to update and/or reinstall my drivers.

Reactions: PaPies
This isn't directed at the OP, but venting a frustration over what I'm seeing.

I wonder how many people who always say "use DDU" read the list of bullet points from where you can get it and noticed this:

9RtFYgJ.png

Also, the driver suite you get from NVIDIA and AMD covers a range of products. If you're upgrading to a new product, you don't have to update the drivers as long as they're compatible with said product. I tested this when I upgraded from a GTX 1080 to a RTX 2070 Super and saw no ill effects or performance issues. On top of this, I've almost never had a need to use DDU to update and/or reinstall my drivers.
So you're saying just skip over an easy possible fix for issues and just keep troubleshooting?

It wouldn't be the first time a member has reported back that DDU has worked in solving their issues. Seems like a good 2 minutes spent towards fixing an issue.

BTW: the op didn't just change drivers, he changed GPUs

Last edited:
So you're saying just skip over an easy possible fix for issues and just keep troubleshooting?

It wouldn't be the first time a member has reported back that DDU has worked in solving their issues. Seems like a good 2 minutes spent towards fixing an issue.

BTW: the op didn't just change drivers, he changed GPUs

This is like saying "reinstall Windows" every time there's an issue with it that you feel is too hard to resolve. And again, NVIDIA's drivers are compatible with a wide range of products, you don't need to reinstall/update/whatever the drivers if they're compatible. If OP was using drivers that aren't compatible with the 3080, the easier fix would've just been to update the drivers.

If OP was going from an AMD to NVIDIA product or vice versa, I would've lightened up to the suggestion, but that's not the case here.

This is like saying "reinstall Windows" every time there's an issue with it that you feel is too hard to resolve. And again, NVIDIA's drivers are compatible with a wide range of products, you don't need to reinstall/update/whatever the drivers if they're compatible. If OP was using drivers that aren't compatible with the 3080, the easier fix would've just been to update the drivers.

If OP was going from an AMD to NVIDIA product or vice versa, I would've lightened up to the suggestion, but that's not the case here.

No, it's nothing like saying reinstall Windows. Not even close actually.

It's worked more than once to solve issues and proved to be worth the few minutes of ones time.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@hotaru.hino
Comparing reinstalling Windows to running DDU is quite a stretch.

It's an issue with the 30x cards
Numerous, nay, countless threads on Nvidia forums with people that are having the same issue, including myself.
Driver / optimisation related.

GeForce Graphics Cards Community | NVIDIA GeForce Forums
I find it amusing how 'under the radar' this is compared to the Navi driver issues; that tech channels and independent reviewers haven't discussed it in detail yet.
But the latter, on the other hand... yikes.

Or perhaps the folks having issues are still the minority.

No, it's nothing like saying reinstall Windows. Not even close actually.

It's worked more than once to solve issues and proved to be worth the few minutes of ones time.
@hotaru.hino
Comparing reinstalling Windows to running DDU is quite a stretch.
And yet I've seen that suggested more times than I cared to count over the years. Or at least some form of "thing not working? Reinstall it!"

I urge people who throw the "DDU" solution to actually figure out how drivers are handled in Windows and how the driver installers work their "magic" before trying to explain why DDU is "needed".

@hotaru.hino
Then I propose this alternative: Users needing help allow total strangers remote access to their PC for more thorough troubleshooting, because we can only work with what they give us.
Or we can learn more about how our computers work, expanding our knowledge and experience (if we test these things out), and apply that to future solutions.

For instance, I decided to figure out what the heck goes on when updating drivers, and here's what I found
  • The drivers are stored in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\
  • The NVIDIA installer will remove the contents of the folder that housed the older drivers
  • The file names for the driver are the same, and even then, the INF file has a list of what files to use anyway
  • The INF file also has the list of compatible devices, which can be obtained by pinging the hardware for it's Vendor and Device IDs (something Windows likely does on boot to figure out what's connected to the computer)
  • The registry contains information on which folder in the Driver Store to use. After going through three driver versions, I found the one I updated to was the only match in the registry as far as driver information is concerned.
While I don't discount the possibility of one of these things screwing up, I find it hard to believe it happens often enough to warrant a casual "run DDU" solution.

On another note, I want to believe the installer unloads the driver from the system before updating it. However, I can't confirm that it's doing that and the old driver may be resident in memory (plus if you uninstall the drivers first, the installer does say to restart the computer). So if people are updating the drivers without rebooting, trying their stuff and encountering problems, going on a forum, getting told to run DDU, and it solves their problem... well since DDU requires rebooting the computer, they may have done the step necessary to resolve their problem and they're just doing extra work.

tl;dr, I'm not saying "run DDU" should never be an option, but I feel like people throw it casually without understanding the problem further.

Reactions: PaPies and Phaaze88
Dec 19, 2020
I find it amusing how 'under the radar' this is compared to the Navi driver issues; that tech channels and independent reviewers haven't discussed it in detail yet.
But the latter, on the other hand... yikes.

Or perhaps the folks having issues are still the minority.

Somewhat of a catty response and I personally wouldn't find amusement in other people's frustration.
It certainly hasn't gone under the radar, just depends on where you lurk your spare time.

If you spend 5 mins just scrolling through the library of pages on the NVIDIA support forums, there's countless threads, multiply them by the responses within said threads. I wouldn't say this is under the radar by any stretch, just not for those that apparently have no issues with the cards and by looks of it, they're the minority lucky ones who have no need to acknowledge there's an issue. Why would you/they.

I mean, just look on these forums and LTT.

Last edited: