JellyBurger676

Commendable
Jul 14, 2020
Hi Guys,
Im building a PC soon and dont know whether to buy the gtx 1070 or the RX 580 8GB. - PLEASE READ FULL DESCRIPTION :)

Specifically its between the Asus ROG STRIX Gtx 1070 https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Strix-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B01HMDRY7E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ROG+STRIX+1070&qid=1594743492&sr=8-1

vs

or the Asus ROG STRIX Rx 580 8gb Overclocked edition or the Sapphire Nitro+ rx 580 (which of these two rx 580's would be better for performance and thermals)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ROG-STRIX-RX580-8GB-GAMING-Graphics-Radeon-GDDR5/dp/B071CP4MPX/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=asus+rog+strix+580&qid=1594743607&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Radeon-Special-2xHDMI-Graphics/dp/B073F1286D

Do not worry I am not paying amazon prices - £150 for the RX 580 8GB ASUS/ similar price or lower for the sapphire card or £180 for the gtx 1070.

I have a 1080p display and want nice 60fps on high. Has the rx 580 drivers make it much better now and is the 1070 necessary or better for what I need it for?

Solution
Ok, the similar model C24F396 (without the FHU) has a 48-72 FreeSync range according to a quick search. I imagine the FHU version, will be the same

The good thing is that AMD supports FreeSync, and Nvidia supports it (generally) with their 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards.

In that case, even if the card can't maintain 60, if the frame rates dip down some, if you have FreeSync set, the drivers will adjust the frame rate downward to match what the card is able to pull out. It manages to maintain smoothness because the frame rate gets adjusted along with what the card can do.

Note: my GTX 1080 has issues doing FreeSync on my FreeSync equipped monitor, but I suspect I'm one of the exceptions rather than the rule. An RX 580 on the same...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
They're two different classes of cards.

First the RX 580 cards - I don't know enough about the Asus model to make a judgment on it, but a friend of mine has the Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition version of the RX 580. The cooler is excellent, keeping temperatures low, and running quietly, and he would definitely recommend it.

The 1070 is a different class of card, a tier higher.

If you're looking to average about 60fps at 1920x1080 at high details, then the RX 580 is the way to go. If you want to try to make sure that there are fewer dips below 60fps, then the GTX 1070 is the better choice.

What are the specifications of your monitor?
  • Resolution we already know is 1920x1080
  • Refresh rate - is it 60Hz, or does it allow higher settings?
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

Reactions: JellyBurger676

JellyBurger676

Commendable
Jul 14, 2020
They're two different classes of cards.

First the RX 580 cards - I don't know enough about the Asus model to make a judgment on it, but a friend of mine has the Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition version of the RX 580. The cooler is excellent, keeping temperatures low, and running quietly, and he would definitely recommend it.

The 1070 is a different class of card, a tier higher.

If you're looking to average about 60fps at 1920x1080 at high details, then the RX 580 is the way to go. If you want to try to make sure that there are fewer dips below 60fps, then the GTX 1070 is the better choice.

What are the specifications of your monitor?
  • Resolution we already know is 1920x1080
  • Refresh rate - is it 60Hz, or does it allow higher settings?
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
@King_V Hi, I have a Samsung curved 24inch monitor, pretty sure 60hz and i dont think it has freesync or gsync although i never really understood their purposes.

DSzymborski

Titan
@King_V Hi, I have a Samsung curved 24inch monitor, pretty sure 60hz and i dont think it has freesync or gsync although i never really understood their purposes.

To put it simply, these are adaptive sync technologies. If you have, say, a 120 Hz monitor and you cannot maintain 120 FPS, you can get screen tearing because of a clash between the number of frames the GPU is outputting and the number of frames the monitor can handle. These adaptive sync technologies align these, so if you're getting 86 FPS on your 120 Hz monitor, the refresh rate will reduce to align with the FPS.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, the similar model C24F396 (without the FHU) has a 48-72 FreeSync range according to a quick search. I imagine the FHU version, will be the same

The good thing is that AMD supports FreeSync, and Nvidia supports it (generally) with their 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards.

In that case, even if the card can't maintain 60, if the frame rates dip down some, if you have FreeSync set, the drivers will adjust the frame rate downward to match what the card is able to pull out. It manages to maintain smoothness because the frame rate gets adjusted along with what the card can do.

Note: my GTX 1080 has issues doing FreeSync on my FreeSync equipped monitor, but I suspect I'm one of the exceptions rather than the rule. An RX 580 on the same system with the same monitor had no trouble with doing FreeSync.

I'd say you could go with either one - but with the FreeSync, if the card can't keep up, all the way down to 48 fps it'll still be smooth. I think the RX 580 would be sufficient for your needs.

Solution

JellyBurger676

Commendable
Jul 14, 2020

Note: my GTX 1080 has issues doing FreeSync on my FreeSync equipped monitor, but I suspect I'm one of the exceptions rather than the rule. An RX 580 on the same system with the same monitor had no trouble with doing FreeSync.

I'd say you could go with either one - but with the FreeSync, if the card can't keep up, all the way down to 48 fps it'll still be smooth. I think the RX 580 would be sufficient for your needs.
@King_V @DSzymborski Thank you both for your help today, I really appreciate your time ;) take care, Piotr.

Reactions: King_V