[SOLVED] GTX 1080 ti Founder's Edition --- display turns off and on randomly during gameplay ?

Dec 10, 2020
I bought a GTX 1080 ti FE Second Hand a few days ago and I've had to set a custom fan curve to keep temps under 80c. Whilst playing games (And sometimes on the desktop) the screen goes black and then turns on again. This issue was very frequent whilst playing COD WZ with 457.51 drivers and is now less frequent with 460.79 drivers. temps are like 71c at 60% Usage @70% fan speed.
Config:
Core i7 7700
GTX 1080 ti FE
Corsair VS550 PSU
msi Optix G27C5 Monitor

Solution
I bought a GTX 1080 ti FE Second Hand a few days ago and I've had to set a custom fan curve to keep temps under 80c. Whilst playing games (And sometimes on the desktop) the screen goes black and then turns on again. This issue was very frequent whilst playing COD WZ with 457.51 drivers and is now less frequent with 460.79 drivers. temps are like 71c at 60% Usage @70% fan speed.
Config:
Core i7 7700
GTX 1080 ti FE
Corsair VS550 PSU
msi Optix G27C5 Monitor
The VS550 is meant more for office type machines using integrated graphics, or maybe a low-end GPU. Most certainly it's not going to hold up to the rigors of gaming with something like a GTX 1080Ti.

The black and gray label VS series units are much better than the older...
Dec 10, 2020
It has to be the PSU or maybe the processor? It's an engineering sample core i7 7700. Tested the graphics card in another machine and it working fine. It has a Corsair VS650.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Config:
Core i7 7700
GTX 1080 ti FE
Corsair VS550 PSU
msi Optix G27C5 Monitor
The VS550 is meant more for office type machines using integrated graphics, or maybe a low-end GPU. Most certainly it's not going to hold up to the rigors of gaming with something like a GTX 1080Ti.

The black and gray label VS series units are much better than the older orange and black label VS models, but they are still units you really only want to use with basic use office or internet browsing machines, or in a pinch, maybe a machine with a lower TDP slot powered card. Also, they are not a modern design, having an older group regulated platform which you can find plenty of in depth information about if you do a search for "group regulated power supplies". These are better than any of the units down below in the wall of shame list, and better than the older VS and CX units, but don't assume you that you can simply pair a graphics card that has a 550w recommendation with a 550w VS unit and not have any problems, because in all probability, you will. These units are not meant for use with high demand gaming systems. In a PINCH, for VERY short term use, they will work, but they are not going to last under the rigors of daily gaming loads.

Reactions: mahadtariq11
Solution