[SOLVED] GTX 1660 ti as upgrade for GTX 1060 (3gb)?

Dec 7, 2019
Hello, I am here once again, hoping for a better answer this time.

I have a simple question. Could I run a GTX 1660 ti on my AcBel 450w PSU?

I have checked different sites for statistics on the power draw of the 1060 and 1660 ti, but they seem to contradict each other. The TDP of both cards is 120W, but some sites show that the 1660 ti draws more under load, and others show the opposite. So now I'm here for a more direct answer to my question.

Pic of PSU:
4Q0Uv3B.jpg

I know it's a pretty bad PSU and that I should upgrade, but I would rather not get a new PSU for this PC and just build a better one in the future.
(It's also really annoying saving money when I make so little, so not having to buy a PSU on side of my GPU would be nice.)

TDP is less a hard number and more of a guideline. It is an approximation and should not be used to measure power draw or heat production. As for the variance on benchmarks, each card will be a little different... but if you are already running a 1060 3GB then a 1660 Ti won't be much of a stretch. You should be ok. That said, I would be remiss for not advising a PSU upgrade. So, I advise a PSU upgrade.

Reactions: OrpheusXP
I
Hello, I am here once again, hoping for a better answer this time.

I have a simple question. Could I run a GTX 1660 ti on my AcBel 450w PSU?

I have checked different sites for statistics on the power draw of the 1060 and 1660 ti, but they seem to contradict each other. The TDP of both cards is 120W, but some sites show that the 1660 ti draws more under load, and others show the opposite. So now I'm here for a more direct answer to my question.

I know it's a pretty bad PSU and that I should upgrade, but I would rather not get a new PSU for this PC and just build a better one in the future.
(It's also really annoying saving money when I make so little, so not having to buy a PSU on side of my GPU would be nice.)

A GTX 1660 ti power draw could reach 125-135W depending on manufacturer.
A reliable 450W should handle it.
Does that PSU has a 8-pin PCI-E power cable?

No, I have to buy a 6pin to 8pin connector.
That is not a good idea and something I will not recommend.
A 6-pin PSU cable delivers 75W and the motherboard PCI-e slot 75W Total 150W
A 8-pin PSU cable delivers 150W and the motherboard PCI-e slot 75W Total 225W

Just connecting a 8-pin to a 6-pin won't magically draw more power from the PSU.
That's is not taking into account the reliability of the 6-pin to 8-pin cable.
Some are of very low quality and could damage your GPU, PSU and maybe other components.

Dec 12, 2019
TL;DR: You will be fine with 6pin to 8pin cable, as long as it's not some cheap cable with messed up pins from Aliexpress.

I ran i5-4440 + Asus R9 270, for, I guess, 4 years. The funny part is that I had a shitty PSU (FSP 350 watts) and the graphics card was connected via 2 molex to 6pin connector. Well, it was 1 molex to 6pin actually, because 12yo me thought that disconnecting one molex would take some load off the PSU...

I already said that it ran for 4 years, but it's not entirely true, because it was used GPU + it had an awful fan control curve so it went up to 80deg + 12yo me didn't realize that GPU can get really hot and die (It was a common problem at the time). It died in 2.5 years (that's when 14yo me discovered MSI Afterburner), was revived, died again in 8 months, was revived again, and finally, it died once more in 6 months or so and I bought GTX 1050ti.

PSU died (Well, technically it still works, but I smelled burned plastic for a week before checking the PSU and finding leaked capacitor, ended up immediately buying a new one) 6 months after the graphics card (I had that PSU since 2009).

Now I'm soon-to-be 18yo and I have Asus Strix 1050ti OC and Gigabyte GP-G750H (It's overkill, but for such quality PSU the price was a steal at the moment.)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019
TL;DR: You will be fine with 6pin to 8pin cable, as long as it's not some cheap cable with messed up pins from Aliexpress.

I ran i5-4440 + Asus R9 270, for, I guess, 4 years. The funny part is that I had a shitty PSU (FSP 350 watts) and the graphics card was connected via 2 molex to 6pin connector. Well, it was 1 molex to 6pin actually, because 12yo me thought that disconnecting one molex would take some load off the PSU...

I already said that it ran for 4 years, but it's not entirely true, because it was used GPU + it had an awful fan control curve so it went up to 80deg + 12yo me didn't realize that GPU can get really hot and die (It was a common problem at the time). It died in 2.5 years (that's when 14yo me discovered MSI Afterburner), was revived, died again in 8 months, was revived again, and finally, it died once more in 6 months or so and I bought GTX 1050ti.

PSU died (Well, technically it still works, but I smelled burned plastic for a week before checking the PSU and finding leaked capacitor, ended up immediately buying a new one) 6 months after the graphics card (I had that PSU since 2009).

Now I'm soon-to-be 18yo and I have Asus Strix 1050ti OC and Gigabyte GP-G750H (It's overkill, but for such quality PSU the price was a steal at the moment.)

But the other guy said that the two cables have two different power outputs, so it shouldn't work then, right?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-turing,6002-4.html

Power consumption looks to average around 130ish max. Meaning your adapter should be ok. Buts it is always better to run a proper plug configuration. Start saving for a better psu with correct plugs. But dont worry too much about it.

As stated above 75w PCI plus 75w 6 pin is good for 150w total. Just dont go overclocking your card until you set it up correctly.

Solution
Dec 12, 2019
But the other guy said that the two cables have two different power outputs, so it shouldn't work then, right?
You have 6pin PSU cable that's able to deliver about 150w combined with your motherboard, and you already have a card that needs about 130w of power connected, I honestly don't see what can go wrong.

I don't know what prices in your country are, but you could save some money for new PSU by buying 1660Super instead of 1660Ti. You won't see a big difference in performance (5fps max I guess), and 1660Ti is just not worth overpaying if the price difference is noticeable.

TRENDING THREADS