Question Guys is my RTX 2080 TI defective? Help me decide

Feb 8, 2019
My specs
Asus Rog RTX 2080 TI 11GB OC
I7 9700K
Asus Rog Maximus XI Hero Mobo
2*8GB Gskill trident Ram
Acer predator 144hz Monitor

It has been 7-8 days since i built my brand new Gaming PC. I right away started gaming on it with games like GTA5,Far cry 5,PUBG,Resident evil etc and everything went well on ultra and mostly high settings with over 100 Fps
when i started doing some benchmark on my PC ,I was shocked to see that My GPU is failing (under-performing)

User benchmark test : Every component of my system performed well with over 70-80 percentile except my GPU .My Gpu was in 10th percentile when compared to others its rating was (162%) when average was around 200 %

Ungine valley and heaven benchmarks :- This is where i was shocked to see all these tests (custom,basic extreme) were showing shaded red colors and artifacts. I am not bothered to see the fps as all these tests were showing artifacts

3DMARK Time spy : I bought this software from steam and tested it .It gave me a GPU score of 6900 only.I googled and found in every other forum that 2080 TI owners are getting somewhere around 12000

All the above tests were done at STOCK settings only.I changed setting in my BIOS to xmp / defaults but still same Low scores and artifacts . I have MSI after burner and i check it and all the settings were at stock only like 0 memory clock and 0 boost clock for gpu.

Guys kindly tell me am i doing something wrong or is my GPU defective?? Do you suggest me to go for RMA or are there any troubleshooting steps that i can perform?? Kindly note that until now i did not find any problem in games.But its only 6-7 days since in built this PC
Any advice is appreciated

Feb 8, 2019
Update while playing PUBG this is how it looks

XL5oSi1.jpg

Feb 8, 2019
It doesn't look like it's thermal throttling based on the temp shown, but what are the clock speeds for GPU and VRAM while under load?
Sorry for asking what is meant by thermal throttling? Gpu clock speed is generally around 1700 mhz and i did not OC it at all. Regarding VRam i dont have a number. So js my GpU not broken? Any touble shooting steps i can perform? Or is it dead?

Ha, yeah I see it now! Totally missed that. I remember going to the movies where they give out the glasses that have the red and blue filters on them if it was a 3D flick. Vincent Price was in one of them and in the movie he jabbed a long needle toward the audience - everyone sunk back in their chair at the same time!

OP, thermal throttling is when the GPU reaches the unsafe temperature limit and the clock speed, power, and voltage to the GPU are reduced to bring the temperature down. For Turing GPUs I believe the temp limit is 89c, so your card was well within the safe temp range at around 70c. Mine reaches 77c when I'm gaming.

Feb 8, 2019
@mortemas @13thmonkey

Thanks for the reply guys !!!
Nope i am not running in 3d mode.I gave it a last try and reinstalled Nvidia drivers using DDU.It fixed everything
Now all the artifacts/shading is gone.My scores went up almost doubled in valley and fire strike.

@mortemas My Gpu core clock speed is 1890 Mhz and memory clock is 1750 Mhz (while testing on fire strike i got these numbers)
While testing on user bench marks my GPU is still on the low percentile 35th percentile!!! Is this because my clock speeds were at stock?? If i increase them ,Does it increase Gpu performance in these benchmarks??? I dont really want to increase them just wanted to know it from you that whether my GPU has scope for improvement or not thats all !!!

Guys before I become completely optimistic about my GPU , could you suggest me some techniques/Tips to safely test my GPU .I am skeptical about my GPU because its only 7-8 days old.
I am a complete No ob Gaming PC owner.Any suggestion is truly appreciated

Yeah, that wasn’t artifacts as 13thmonkey said it was 3D vision. DDU+reinstall turned it off. Funny thing is, I can’t find any info about 3D vision support for PUBG and it doesn’t look like a lot of games support it anyway. Very odd.

162% rank in userbenchmark might be ok considering that with a high end card like the 2080 ti there are going to be a lot of users overclocking with watercooling and to a lesser extent with liquid nitrogen, so your card looks worse compared to those extremes. Post the link to your userbenchmark result. If you are using GSync or Vsync you should disable it before running the userbenchmark test.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019
@mortemas
Thanks for the response,
This is my latest userbenchmark result https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14997649
As you can see My GPU shows 204% score but is still on the 35th percentile. Any thoughts? (Vsync was disabled but Gsync was enabled)

AND another query i wanted to ask you
In that Result you can see my CPU score 115%.In that details it is showing that """ Base clock 3.6 GHz, turbo 4.6 GHz (avg) "" // What does that mean?? It is showing an average of 4.6 Ghz .Does this mean my PC is overclocked?? I am asking this because i did not tweak with any of my settings other than increasing the RAM to 2933 mhz. So why did my PC overclock?? is this normal factory OC?? I am really a noob regarding OC Just wanted to know

Yeah, seems like everything is fine with your card. You're score is exactly at average. It's only warning you that it's performing under expectations because so many people overclock the 2080 ti because people who buy that card are looking for all out performance. You don't buy a Ferrari and drive it 30 mph ;-) Your GPU and VRAM look to be at stock settings. Having said that, mine isn't overclocked either because I want to keep the heat down in my small form factor ITX-mini build. I could probably only get 100MHz more out of it anyway, which is only 5% faster. At stock settings it runs around 1900MHz. The people with extreme cooling solutions are getting above 2300MHz. It's worth it to note that your GPU is still boosting above its base clock so it's kind of a factory overclock, but you can push it further if you want to. These cards are mostly thermal limited, so that's why the better cooling will get you faster clocks.

Your CPU is not overclocked, but much like the GPU it automatically has a factory turbo mode - Intel Turbo Boost. Your single core boost actually goes up to 4.9 GHz, but userbenchmark shows average clock of 4.6 MHz because not all cores are capable of the max speed. You do have to watch out though because some motherboard manufacturers will have overclock features activated by default. Multicore Enhancement comes to mind.

Feb 8, 2019
@mortemas
Ok Thanks dude
So one final qstn.
Multicore enhancement???
Present it is enabled in my Bios.
Looking at my configuration, so suggest me to disable it or enable it?? I googled it about the concept but still i am not sure what to do..

Well if MCE is enabled then technically the CPU is overclocked. It is not in line with Intel's specs for normal operation and exceeds power rating and therefore temps will be higher. When MCE is enabled the mobo is probably also boosting voltage to provide stability. Only a single core is indicated to work at the max specified Turbo Boost speed, but MCE runs all cores at the max turbo frequency. Having said that, obviously these "performance" level chips are designed with overclocking in mind, but there is no standard definition of how much overclock you will get. If you have stability problems you might look to disabling MCE or adjusting other settings to compensate, but if your rig is running ok under stress then yeah I guess do as 13thmonkey suggests and leave it enabled. Refer to the table below which shows the stock frequencies for each of the cores as intended by Intel.

9thGenTurbos2.png

Last edited: