Question H60 Old to new replacement

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
Hi, my old h60 is performing really bad latetly.
I want to change the cpu cooler without having to remove the motherboard, I dont have any space to mount anything from the back of the motherboard.
So my question is, if I change a old H60 to the new one (2018 version H60), is it the same mounting? Can I install the new one without removing the motherboard to install the mounting?

Side question: Any good thermal paste or is it just whatever?

Motherboard: Asus P9x79
Tower: Unknown, cant fit 240mm.

Sorry for bad english.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With X79 and X99/X299 I believe you use the built in backplate for the CPU rather than adding one like you do with LGA115x. So you shouldn't have to take the board out. Just screw in the new studs if they aren't the same height as the ones you've got in there.

The included thermal paste is fine, but if you wanted something nicer you could certainly buy some. Thermal Grizzly sells what is arguably the best non-liquid metal paste, but we are talking ~1 degree performance difference over most of the competition. IC Diamond, Noctua, etc all make fine pastes.

I like to keep Arctic MX-4 (not to be confused with Arctic Silver 5) around as it is a good all around compound. Suitable for CPUs, GPUs.

Reactions: kimroar90

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
Eximo, thank you really for that answer.

Follow up question; If I dont need to remove motherboard with new H60, do I have to remove the motherboard with NH-U14S Noctua? I'm really new to this but I've seen some videos were you need to enter the back of the motherboard to connect the mounting thing to the fan (specially with the NH-U14S). And I can't afford to remove the motherboard, I'm to noob to do this.

Also, can anyone confirm Eximo statement about the x79 backplate?
I got a i7-3820, I think that is a LGA 2011 socket?

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
It is indeed LGA2011.

All I did was consult the installation instructions for both H60s. You can do the same with the Noctua.

Same applies here, you use the original mounting and add studs.

https://noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u14s_manual_en_web_v2.pdf

Thank you.
So if I understood you correctly, I can mount Noctua-U14s to my motherboard (p9x79) without having to mount anything to the back? just to the front?
When you say "you use the original mounting and add studs" studs that come with the original mounting setup?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No the studs come with the new cooler. You screw them into the motherboard.

LGA2011 backplates are robust enough to not need modification to mount heavier coolers. So you are using the stock Intel specified mounting system and adding to it.

Consult the instructions for the coolers you want to use, everything is detailed there.

Reactions: kimroar90

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
Thank you so much. So all I do is dismount the old H60 completly, then add the mounting I get from the cooler (Noctua U14s) to the stock intel specified mounting system? Wish is integrated in the motherboard I assume? Then my choise is alot easier, then I will go with the U14S air cooler from Noctua instead of H60 120mm watercooler, it failed me last time.. but I had it for 7-9 good years. This also sorts out my thermal paste issue sinse I will get that included with the air cooler (U-14S)

I will probably need to buy some sort of alchol to clean off the old thermal paste when I remove the H60? Anyone have experiences with "Arctic Silver ArctiClean 1 & 2" ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
All correct.

That is actually an amazing run time for an all-in-one water cooler. 3-5 years at best for most of them. I suppose it depends on the hours of use though.

You don't need anything fancy to remove thermal compound. A paper towel, cotton swab, etc are all suitable. Anything that is fairly soft but doesn't leave behind lint. Isopropyl alcohol 90% or better is a good solvent for thermal compound and you can get an entire bottle for practically nothing.

kimroar90

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
All correct.

That is actually an amazing run time for an all-in-one water cooler. 3-5 years at best for most of them. I suppose it depends on the hours of use though.

You don't need anything fancy to remove thermal compound. A paper towel, cotton swab, etc are all suitable. Anything that is fairly soft but doesn't leave behind lint. Isopropyl alcohol 90% or better is a good solvent for thermal compound and you can get an entire bottle for practically nothing.

Thank you for every answers.
I just ordered the noctua cooler, I really hope it will be the solution to my huge temps while not even stressed.
Played fortnite 2 days ago, was up on 90+ temp.. while idling now with a few tabs open in browser + heartstone I'm up on 70temp, 20% LOAD.. (core temp) - and this is WITHOUT the turbo boost on the i7-3820, just 3.6ghz every core no OC.