Aug 20, 2020
Hey Guys,

I am moving into a new house that has 4 ceiling speakers pre-installed.

I am new to AV set up so I was curious what the best home theater set up would be in utilizing these: Soundbar? 1.1.4? DTS? Dolby Atoms, Etc. Just ideas on equipment.

Devices that will be connected to this set up is a vinyl record player, Xbox One X, & LG OLED CX.

Thank you so much :).

Reactions: Benjamin22044
Solution
Hey Guys,

I am new to AV set up so I was curious what the best home theater set up would be in utilizing these: Soundbar? 1.1.4? DTS? Dolby Atoms, Etc. Just ideas on equipment.

Devices that will be connected to this set up is a vinyl record player, Xbox One X, & LG OLED CX.

These speakers are all in one room and not distributed around the house ?

You are going to have to take one down and get more technical info about it. The best thing is to find a center channel speaker from the same manufacturer that is designed to be used as a set. That way the timbre of a sound won't change as it moves among the speakers.
You will want...

kanewolf

Titan
Hey Guys,

These speakers are all in one room and not distributed around the house ?

You are going to have to take one down and get more technical info about it. The best thing is to find a center channel speaker from the same manufacturer that is designed to be used as a set. That way the timbre of a sound won't change as it moves among the speakers.
You will want a dedicated subwoofer. The ceiling speakers probably don't have a lot of bass. You need a good dedicated sub to compensate. Again, if the same manufacturer has a sub, look at that first.
The other reason you need to get technical info is to find out the impedance (ohms) of the speakers. That needs to be verified against the amp (receiver) you purchase.

Most of the terms you referenced "DTS" "Dolby Atmos" etc are associated with the surround sound decoder (AV receiver). Totally independent of the speakers.

Reactions: Benjamin22044
Solution

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
A lot of smart speakers are really good these days. I have read about smart speakers from Amazon, JBL and Yamaha etc. but the one that caught my eye was an LG speaker than came way back in 2018. This smart speaker is still $1100ish in cost but if you switch it on to its full volume it will rage your space with fiery sound. The exact name of it is LG SK10Y Soundbar and it is powered by a Mediatek chipset. It also has Google Assistant and Dolby Atmos with Meridian sound technology as well. Has amazing audio quality.

Hey Guys,

Those ceiling speakers are likely setup for a surround sound setup not for main listening (or at least no real audiophile would set them that way). You would want a stereo speaker setup, a center channel speaker, surround sound receiver and then connect those ceiling speakers to the surround sound for side/rear audio. Assuming when you said there are 4 speakers they are in the same room and setup for a home theater setup.

After reading kanewolf's reply it does point out that the question is a bit vague on the location of the speakers. If they are spread through the house that is for ambient listening not really "serious" listening. It all also depends on your budget, people talk about setups but when some products are suggested costing $1,000 they say "I was thinking more like $50".

TRENDING THREADS