[SOLVED] Have XFX left the PSU space?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Random thought for the day: "I haven't seen an XFX PSU in a long time"...... I saw one in someone's signature, and it got me thinking.

Glancing at PCPP for Canada/US/UK/France/Germany, I've found a solitary XFX 400W "XT" actually available to purchase, via Amazon.fr (even then, only "fulfilled by" Amazon, not "sold by"). There are 2-3 listings in a couple of regions, but nothing you can actually purchase when you arrive at the listed retailers site - Either out of stock, discontinued or third party listings at 'new old stock' pricing.

So, it got me thinking.... Have XFX left the PSU space outright? Or is it just a sign of the times with limited availability?
With SeaSonic outsourcing some manufacturing & putting out some budget-orientated units that are region specific, maybe there's no need for XFX any longer?

Solution
Yes, but i don't know the details. Honestly, good riddance, with nothing new to offer but rebranded Seasonic units and a ton of marketing MOD EDIT. .
Just look at the amount of MOD EDIT2 in there :
https://www.jonnyguru.com/wp-reviews/XFXPro1250/box3.jpg
And hold your breath ... this unit is actually multi-rail at that, @jonnyguru had good laugh at the time :ROFLMAO:
With a single +12V rail power supply, I usually don’t pay too much mind to what plugs in where. I typically just plug in as many connectors as possible into the front of my load tester and fire it up. But for this power supply, I couldn’t do a full load and was wondering if the power supply was...

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Yes, but i don't know the details. Honestly, good riddance, with nothing new to offer but rebranded Seasonic units and a ton of marketing MOD EDIT. .
Just look at the amount of MOD EDIT2 in there :
https://www.jonnyguru.com/wp-reviews/XFXPro1250/box3.jpg
And hold your breath ... this unit is actually multi-rail at that, @jonnyguru had good laugh at the time :ROFLMAO:
With a single +12V rail power supply, I usually don’t pay too much mind to what plugs in where. I typically just plug in as many connectors as possible into the front of my load tester and fire it up. But for this power supply, I couldn’t do a full load and was wondering if the power supply was really a 1250W or if it was tripping off because of the high temperatures. I even ran my tests at room temperature and the power supply still shut down.

XFX ensured me that the power supply should do 1250W without issue and sent me a second unit. I plugged the second unit into the load tester and experienced the same problem. At high loads, the power supply kept shutting down.

So what’s the deal? Well, it turns out that EasyRail isn’t EasyRail after all. This power supply actually has four +12V rails. The way I hooked up the cables to the power supply, and the way the +12V is distributed was causing the OCP to trip. I was plugging the 4+4-pin into my load tester and the 4+4-pin shares a +12V rail with the 24-pin connector, so putting a load on both of these connectors was putting the total load on one +12V rail.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, but i don't know the details. Honestly, good riddance, with nothing new to offer but rebranded Seasonic units and a ton of marketing.

Not inherently opposed to simply(ish) rebranding SeaSonic units if it puts more quality in the marketplace at decent prices. Diluting the pool by keeping certain models at the table for far longer than they should be is another question though.

Wow, I don't think I'd ever seen that pointed out before on the Pro. Marketing fail right there.
I mean, surely if you're going to claim single rail ....... you wouldn't send it to someone (twice!), such as JG that is going to test that claim (either intentionally or unintentionally, as it was there).