HD 6990 reviews and discussion

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imran_peter

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Thanks so much to u all and very sorry for late reply my friends..just now finished my semester final exam.. Just awesome exam..
@plznote: bro, i from Bangladesh.. A little beautiful country.
@viper: yeah, my friend, i saw people using cable converter to use and get the desired voltage.. Can i use 2x12 volt for each to get 30 amp.. I saw cable converter to use two power supply unit cable to one GPU power connector.. Will it be harmful..?

@greghome: bro, will i need 30amp for 12volt rail..? Is there any problem if i use power cable converter to use two power connector at same time..?
Thank u again all for ur care..^_^

Imran_peter

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Plznote, here in our country, even they old but these little bit pricey.. 5770 and GTS 450 same price here..these sold 140-160$ based on brands..and 6000 series pricing is like dream.. Here all electronic goods so much pricey than they are in Europe or USA or Japan.. We people who student they suffer alot for that high pricing.. There no price controller.. Also u know all country government sucks.. Dirty politics.. People take as much price as they can get.. If u not intelligent enough they easily may take 200 bucks for these 5770 or nvidia 450.. They dun care people..only they care money.. Thats the reason there not alot gamer in our country bcs of cost of electronics.

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Yes,
I understand how it feels.
It has happened to me.
If you buy an item are you able to refund it to the shop if it doesn't work with your computer?

Imran_peter

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Oh..here in our country if u buy sepphire then when they selling they give warranty but if any problem then there no support..though sepphire good grafics card manufacturer this bad thing happens rare..one thing, Most of sepphire in our country made in china.. The gamer who have relatives in uk or USA they buy sepphire made in europe.. Most gamers talk about sepphire alot but they seems little disappointed bcs of china made sepphire and no real warranty.. Here if anyone buy Gigabyte products they get better support then any other..also most gigabyte are not from china(80%).. I check my gigabyte H55 motherboard..little component sealed china.other from japan or taiwan.
They refund dun apply if u burn ur product.. Also here old tradition, if u buy product even the seller tell about warranty, if u forgot to take cash memos for purchased good, if something wrong goes with your goods and gone shop next day , the seller act he didn't know you.. Also here no warranty for Mouse and Keyboard even if they well branded..
As i said, there always good support for Gigabyte products and Intel products. Also good support for the laptops and notebook.
Lastly, as a gamer, there no well branded desktop (1000$) like there in USA and Europe like Dell, Cyber Power and other reknowned brands i forgot by times. We have to built our own desktop. No matter how much price we waste they always look cheap plastic.. Never shines like the Beautiful Dell XPS with metallic ATX, or Alienware or Cyber Power or Even Cheap Lenovo..

Imran_peter

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Plznote, if u wanna know more about our country, fell free to mail me at .................@yahoo.com or add that in facebook..
And thank u viper and greghome to helping me to understand the psu matter for GPU.. I happy and greatful to know all the fact lying on GPU.. Thanks again for u all guys support..Take good care all of u..^_^

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Imran!
EDIT YOUR MESSAGE!
Do not post your e-mail address on a forum!
Bots will find it and you'll get a lot of spam.

On the other hand, I think the 5770 is a good choice and will work.

zwink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

Might want to add this site, its got just about every graphics card in the last 3 years on it ( as far as direct comparisons go).
http://www.gpubench.com/

zwink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I suspect the drivers are holding the 6990 back, and/or its crippled by being CPU-bound or otherwise limited by inferior system components. Always the problem with any emerging or "high end" technology in this industry, something is going to bottleneck the performance. This site is chocking it up (is that a word?) to be #1, but they use some sort of proprietary algorithm that does not take bottlenecks into account. http://www.gpubench.com Regardless, I want one just so I can say that my GPU pulls almost as many watts as my new washing machine.

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I don't get most people on here... Yes the 6990 is better in most games, better at high resolutions (hence multiple monitors as well) and easier on power consumption than the 590. For both cards you will pay about $750, and what people have to complain about the 6990 to make the 590 look better is "oh no, i cant hear myself fapping over it's overwhelming noise!" Well tell you what, if you can spend the $750 on a video card you'd be an idiot not to liquid cool it. You'd also be an idiot not to have multiple monitors, or else a 6970-50 or 580-70-60ti will be fine for you.

Conclusion: Both cards should have to support multiple monitors, or else it's a waste, also they should have proper cooling.

trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
:lol: I find it ironic how people switch to politics in the last page of this thread....from a gpu discussion XD. I saw it switch to that and I was like NO !!! not politics :cry:

Lukums

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Personal opinion here, I bought the 6990 Asus for $850 find it was WAY to loud. It is a beast with the 6990 best to make sure you have a tower full to support, not just to support but to be able to work around it.

I quickly decided to replace the 6990 with a Maxtrix GTX 580 OC compared?

Silent, dose not make a sound plus have flashy LED ( Maxtrix ).

Fantastic card, hard to OC, hard to keep temps down. Safely can support 107 degrees which is insane? But I perfer a silent card only my 2 cents.

Getting same FPS with both, had the 6990 and the Maxtrix run 100 FPS in most games.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

you shoulda water cooled it, but yeah i wouldn't reccommend a GTX580/6990 or a 590 to anyone really. (well in 99% of circumstances anyway).

Lukums

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
It's not a GTX580 it's a MAXTRIX!! GTX580 xD lol

All seriousness great card couldn't ask for anything better stock standard runs my 51" LCD at 92 FPS in any game.

If you want to OC this is NOT the card for you I'd still stick with the 6990 BUT it's so damn loud... again only my opinion.

lazypie_man

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Gigabyte HD 6990??

anyone got one?
what have gigabyte done with the card and have ther inproved the card in any way?

I have a gigabyte z68 ud7 motherboard, and was just woundering wheather its worth sticking with gigabyte?

Also its in a antec 1200 case