Question HDD - Infrequent clicking noise

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

Since the start of using my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53, my 1TB Toshiba HDD has made infrequent clicking noises, this happens even when at idle.
The temperatures are fine, I've checked the health of my HDD and everything else including CPU, SATA cable condition, RAM, etc. All good, no signs of errors whatsoever.

The clicks happens maybe once a day, every 3 hours, 1 hour, 30 minutes or 15 minutes. It is a brief momentary and quiet click.

Is this normal for HDD?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
"my stuff".

You can definitively state 100% of any critical data exists in your OneDrive space?

In the event of your C drive dying (or ransomware/virus/etc)...how will you recover THAT?
All the username/passwords/installed software, etc, etc, etc.
I don't really care for any of that, all my passwords are saved in microsoft edge account on browser and although it's a pain I'd just reinstall everything on a new SSD.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Here's a suggestion.
Get some cloning software...and make an image of your boot drive on occasion and store it somewhere else. This way you have all the data from the entire drive locally....and you can recreate the boot drive whenever you want.
I'm on laptop and only have one SATA cable, wouldn't I have to get an adapter or USB to do this?