HDD issues - Maxtor 40gb Copying Issues

Dual Intel Celeron 466mhz/66mhz
2x256mb PC100 SDR (Infineon, CL2)
ABit BP6 Dual S370 Motherboard
(Onboard ATA66 controller)
Fujitsu MPE 8gb 5400rpm HDD
2xSeagate 20gb 5400rpm (Windows RAID1/Mirrored)
Maxtor 40gb 5400rpm HDD
235w ATX PSU
Windows Server 2003

Just rebuild the whole server and changed the motherboard over to the dual celeron board and now when i copy files off the 40gb, the whole system jams to a holt - it gets like 20% through the transfer of any file size (200mb - 2gb) and it slows down or maybe stops - i can move the mouse but i cant do anything - i click on the 8gb C:\ drive and it stops and waits? At first i thought it was the 40gb dieing but i put it into another system and it works fine, any ideas? could the BP6 hate 40gb hdd's? iv tried the system without the 2 20gb hdd's for any power issues but still the same issues, would a reformat of both HDD's improve the situation? oh yeah i ghosted the image off another drive back onto the 8gb windows drive but would that cause the issues with the 40gb? iv even tried the 40gb on the ATA66 controller and it still doesnt help. HELP!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, er, well, first thing to do is check the board for bad capacitors, especially since Abit's capacitor issues started about the time that board had reached maturity in the market...

Bad capacitors can cause the oddest stability issues. Also verify the power supply is providing stable voltage under the added load. If everything checks out, try using a PCI IDE controller rather than the onboard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>