Question HDD Not Present In MoBo BIOS... Showed Up In My Other Computer.

Jul 2, 2024
Hey Guys.

I'm trying my hand at reviving an old PC for some light home server usage. I bought an old dell with a B85M-G43 mobo. It didn't have an HDD so I got a 10tb HGST SATA6.0 7200rpm refurbished off amazon. I tried attaching it to the old PC and it would not show up as present on the BIOS. The PC has a CD/DVD drive and that show up on ports 1-3 (manual says 5-6 are SATA3.0) , and I tried switching the ports, cables, and power cables from the BXP600 PSU in the thing. The CD/DVD drive would show up as present on whichever port I plugged it into, with any configuration of cables. The HDD would not, so I plugged it into my newer PC running Windows 11 and it found it in Disk Manager no problem. Also, I tried going ahead and setting up the PC with Ubuntu Server to see if it would show up during the installation, to no luck...

Any ideas???

Thanks forums!!

Solution
Ultrastar He10 enterprise drives are designed to shut off if 3.3v is supplied via the SATA power connector. In this review, you can clearly see your PSU's SATA power connectors have orange wires going to them.

Either cut the orange wire or use a 4-pin molex to SATA power adapter. Those cannot use an orange wire
1610036461_1001023.jpg
Jul 2, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I bought an old dell with a B85M-G43 mobo.
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

BXP600 PSU in the thing.
Is this the PSU you're working with?
Thanks Lutfij! Appreciate the welcome :)

I just flashed it to the latest version to my knowledge 3.9. And yes that's the PSU. It has that Voltage switch in the bottom which, to be honest, I've never encountered before.

Ultrastar He10 enterprise drives are designed to shut off if 3.3v is supplied via the SATA power connector. In this review, you can clearly see your PSU's SATA power connectors have orange wires going to them.

Either cut the orange wire or use a 4-pin molex to SATA power adapter. Those cannot use an orange wire
1610036461_1001023.jpg

Solution
Jul 2, 2024

1610036461_1001023.jpg
I bet that's why they gave me this in the box and you just enlightened me as to why... Thanks I'll try this right now. Was about to get the clippers hahaha.

A131-0353_1-800x800.jpg

How thoughtful of them!

The PSU police appear to be sleeping, but if they were here they would tell you your PSU has a very old design because it has the voltage switch, is very old because with the orange wires there it doesn't comply with SATA revision 3.3 which came out back in 2016 (which is what repurposed the 3.3v to the PWDIS Power Disable feature), and has the very fire-prone type of SATA power connectors with removable pins. Even good molded SATA power connectors like in the pictures above have less than 1mm of plastic separating power + ground, and the modular type with large holes for slide-in pins are even worse.

However this means you could also just release and slide out the 3.3v wire pin instead of having to cut anything. And I do understand why you'd only consider upgrading the PSU if you encounter problems, since it's for a 10 year old system with a refurbished hard drive