Question HDD Started making noise on startup?

AngelWitch1986

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
4 days ago my hdd started making noises on startup, which I can describe as scanning / printer noises or something like that. Maybe grinding noises? But they are not that loud or bad.
When it makes those noises it does not boot further until it stops, only then does it show my bios and loads the os.
On day 1 and 2 the noise lasted about 5 seconds or more, on day 3 it loaded normally without any interruption, and today the noise was present again but only for maybe 2 or 3 seconds.
SMART shows up good and I experience no other problems with the exception of muffled ticking noises coming from the hdd after the psu change earlier.
I have both sounds for those ticks and the noise it makes on startup so I can attach if it can help.
What I am asking is, is this a cause for concern?

Forgot to mention: my PC kept defragging that part of C drive that is reserved by the system over and over every day / two days for some time now, but suddenly stop doing so ever since that first weird scanning noise.

AngelWitch1986

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
New noises are rarely a good thing.

What is your current backup situation?
That's what they say about noises... But how do i figure out what exactly is causing them? I take it that the pc should be malfunctioning or atleast lagging / corrupting files if the hard drive is in jeopardy. But it works totally fine.
I copied important files a while ago when I had other issues, it's not a big deal because I dont have a lot to lose anyways.