[SOLVED] HDD to SSD + Fresh Win 10 Installation Question

Mar 29, 2020
Hey all. Sorry for the novice questions but I need to brush up on some details here to prevent myself from messing up. If you could help, it's appreciated. I'll give you a quick summary of the goal and then just lay out the numbered questions to make it clear what I need some assistance with.

My games play extremley well, but I suffer from things like watching YouTube videos, which is when I noticed a major issue. I also noticed my hard-drive usage would be at 100% such as a simple Windows Update.

Brief summary: Ignored warnings to go to SSD instead of HDD, obviously regretting it. Need to replace HDD with SSD. Need to also re-install Win fresh. There are some factors.

1.) So I simply physically open the PC, remove the HDD from the tray and disconnect the SATA cable, and replace with SSD? -

2.) I read a bunch about the Win 10 installation media, burning the ISO, etc etc - I purchased the Win 10 USB drive, does this negate the need to transfer information to a DVD or USB? I'd still be willing to download the installation media, however.

3.) Once I physically place the SSD in, where do I go from there? The goal is to have a completely fresh copy of Win 10. I think the Win 10 is stuck to my motherboard, as the HDD to SSD isn't a major hardware change, technically.

A-bit off topic: I noticed when I tried to factory reset my PC (failed), all my data was deleted except for drivers. Do drivers contain personally identifiable information to the computer (For example, a driver being carried over which is corrupted) or prevent a 'fresh' Windows 10 install. (obviously it's being carried over despite being reset which is odd) I had/having driver issues to begin with.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Solution
yup no need to worry about any special partitions. windows will create a few itself but it does that on its own with nothing from you :)

you can make a smaller partition for the install if you like but it's not really needed.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you want to remove the hdd like you plan on. the only drive that should be connected would be the new ssd. use the usb drive you bought to install windows and let it finish. once it's installed, get the drivers installed, updates run and the like.

now finally put the hdd back into the system and format it to be used for data and so on. it's that easy :)

should note though that the ssd is not going to stop the 100% usage issues everyone sees with win 10. windows does a ton of spying on you in the background, running updates, indexing and so on anytime it feels like. this won't change with an ssd vs a hdd. MS has decided they know what's best for you and will do whatever it feels like without caring what you "think" you want your pc to do at that moment.....

Mar 29, 2020
you want to remove the hdd like you plan on. the only drive that should be connected would be the new ssd. use the usb drive you bought to install windows and let it finish. once it's installed, get the drivers installed, updates run and the like.

now finally put the hdd back into the system and format it to be used for data and so on. it's that easy :)

should note though that the ssd is not going to stop the 100% usage issues everyone sees with win 10. windows does a ton of spying on you in the background, running updates, indexing and so on anytime it feels like. this won't change with an ssd vs a hdd. MS has decided they know what's best for you and will do whatever it feels like without caring what you "think" you want your pc to do at that moment.....

Hey Math,

Thanks for your reply. In regards to your last statement, It's so funny because 10 years ago I wouldn't have even thought to disable privacy settings, or even check them mind you. It's only around the past couple years with multiple reports of a lack of privacy, and people complaining about the TOS that I opened my eyes and started to feel uncomfortable. Real shame, isn't it? With my OCD in full effect, I worry about this 'phantom' telemetry going on.

In terms of the usage issue, perhaps I'm still wrong, but my usage is at 100% with only a few MBs.

In terms of the installation, thanks for that information, the only thing I'm worried about is something to do with, when doing a custom Windows install you need to paritition drives or something of that nature. I remember seeing that in a Win 10 install video I watched, but I'll check on that soon.

USAFRet

Titan
No special partitioning needed. Just let it use the whole drive.

Mar 29, 2020
No special partitioning needed. Just let it use the whole drive.

Excellent. Thank you for the information and the guide. Now I can purchase my SSD lol.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yup no need to worry about any special partitions. windows will create a few itself but it does that on its own with nothing from you :)

you can make a smaller partition for the install if you like but it's not really needed.

Solution
Mar 29, 2020

Hey Math, I'm quite sorry lol - I forgot to add something into to my original question. It just dawned upon me now.

When my PC was built, BIOS is stuck into legacy mode and I don't know why. For that reason I should be able to rectifiy that issue during my new Win 10 install, right?