[SOLVED] HDD to SSD

Feb 12, 2021
I have 2 HDD on my PC, I just bought 1 128GB SSD. Is there a possibility that I will move the windows programs from HDD to SSD? I mean is there a possibility that I won't format my HDDs?

My plan is
1 HDD 500GB - For my School Works
1 HDD 1TB - For my Games
1 SDD 128GB - For Windows

It is my first time upgrading my PC. Sorry if I have a lot of questions here. Peace!
PS: I just bought SSD for fast boot.

Solution
Particularly, if you can get your C:\ plus the System Reserved volumes down to 118GB, you might be able to copy that into the new SSD
To migrate into a 128GB drive, the actual consumed space on the Source must be below 80GB.
Not 118.
The clone/migration tool needs some free space to work with.

And a 128GB drive should never be filled more than ~85GB anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. A 128GB SSD was a bad buy at any price above $0.
  2. What is the current configuration? Where is Windows now? Please post a screencap of your Disk Management window.
  3. Simply looking for fast boot time is a poor determinant to having an SSD. It is much more than that.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
^He's right. Personally, I wouldn't get an SSD smaller than 500GB... 1TB being the sweet spot.

Depending on a few things, you may be able to squeeze your current install of Windows into that 128GB SSD (118 GB formatted), but it's not going to be pretty, especially if you're not savvy with disk volumes and such.

So, my recommendation is to get a bigger SSD (bigger than your current Windows/boot HDD) then clone, disk-to-disk. Problem solved.

Feb 12, 2021
I did not install my SSD yet. The windows are in Local Disk C:
e1868a34192949a6ed2ed82bd2ee9f9553c43e13.png

Feb 12, 2021
so you're saying that 128GB is not good enough for windows? Because my plan for SSD is just for a fast boot up. I am not going to put any files in my SSD just windows that's my plan.

^He's right. Personally, I wouldn't get an SSD smaller than 500GB... 1TB being the sweet spot.

Depending on a few things, you may be able to squeeze your current install of Windows into that 128GB SSD (118 GB formatted), but it's not going to be pretty, especially if you're not savvy with disk volumes and such.

So, my recommendation is to get a bigger SSD (bigger than your current Windows/boot HDD) then clone, disk-to-disk. Problem solved.

USAFRet

Titan
so you're saying that 128GB is not good enough for windows? Because my plan for SSD is just for a fast boot up. I am not going to put any files in my SSD just windows that's my plan.
  1. How much space is consumed on your C drive? That column is hidden off to the right in your Disk Management window.
  2. It never ends up as "only Windows'. It may start out like that, but other things end up there as well.
  3. "just for a fast boot up " is a poor reason to have a solid state drive.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
I didn't say that. I do have Windows installed in an old 60GB SSD which still I use on my test bench. But that's all it does... used solely for booting up and diagnosing different PCs.

However, your question was if you can move the current Windows instance from HDD to a 128GB SSD, and I answered.... It will depend on a few factors. Particularly, if you can get your C:\ plus the System Reserved volumes down to 118GB, you might be able to copy that into the new SSD and boot from it. It's kinda like grinding down a square peg to fit a round hole but it should work if you can get the partition small enough.

The recommendation I gave you is easier, better in the long run, but will cost a bit more. And you'll likely thank us later.

USAFRet

Titan
Particularly, if you can get your C:\ plus the System Reserved volumes down to 118GB, you might be able to copy that into the new SSD
To migrate into a 128GB drive, the actual consumed space on the Source must be below 80GB.
Not 118.
The clone/migration tool needs some free space to work with.

And a 128GB drive should never be filled more than ~85GB anyway.

Solution