[SOLVED] HDD usage at 75% - 100% at random

Aug 12, 2020
I recently built a new budget PC for myself, and it's been working perfectly until about 2 days ago. I started noticing fps drops in games that ran smoothly, so I turned the settings down, but still had the fps drops. Checked my temps, and they were all normal for the CPU and GPU. Started one of the games back up and everything ran fan for the rest of the night.

Today, I was watching some youtube, and the video starts to buffer and freeze. Ran a speed test, ping and d/l are completely fine. Opened up task manager, HDD showing 100% usage. Weird thing is, the highest usage was chrome at 0.1mb/s.

Is my HDD failing already? Something going with with recent windows update I'm unaware of? Etc?

-System Specifications-
ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
EVGA Supernova 550 GA 550W 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Power Supply
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER DirectX 12 GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS XS OC 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 2 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - SATA
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) CL16 Desktop Memory Module Ram
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB Airflow Micro-ATX Tower with Dual ARGB Fans

Solution
Find some sort of NVME or even SATA SSD on sale, and be essentially done with ever waiting on or blaming possibly failing disks..

Short term, you can check CrstalDiskInfo on your drive to see if there are already problems beginning to rear their heads..; can't think of any reason HDD usage would spike upwards just watching Youtube; might have been unrelated tasks kicking off in the background, or WIndows background disk related indexing, etc..
Find some sort of NVME or even SATA SSD on sale, and be essentially done with ever waiting on or blaming possibly failing disks..

Short term, you can check CrstalDiskInfo on your drive to see if there are already problems beginning to rear their heads..; can't think of any reason HDD usage would spike upwards just watching Youtube; might have been unrelated tasks kicking off in the background, or WIndows background disk related indexing, etc..

Solution