Question HDMI to VGA adapter not working (but it should?)

Jan 8, 2022
I've got two Samsung monitors, both 60Hz and VGA input only. My computer has one VGA and one HDMI output.

My graphics card does support to output through both simultaneously. If I connect one monitor and my TV that has HDMI input, I can extend the desktop.

So I bought an HDMI to VGA adapter to use both monitors. But to my surprise, it did not work. I thought the adapter was broke or something, but it does actually work on my laptop's HDMI port.

So if the adapter works (on my laptop at least) and my PC supports output through both ports simultaneously, why does it not work??

Furthermore, if I only plug in the converter by itself, there is no output either. So what gives? Is it a graphics driver thing? A refresh rate problem?

My laptop has an Intel HD Graphics 620 while my computer is 630. That is the only difference I could notice.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022
It turns out there are passive and active adapters. The passive ones work on my laptop but I will need an active one for my PC. I thought all HDMI to VGA adapters were passive and only VGA to HDMI adapters were active. Apparently not.