Oct 8, 2021
I have multiple fans with 3 pin and molex connector. Can i plug in the first fan to motherboard header and the second fan into the first fans molex connector for power from the first fan? Sorry if confusing, and to add no i am not attempting to plug molex into psu.

Solution
I have 3 separate headers can i just plug in a fan to each header then 3 separate front fans straight to psu?
Just plug all fans into motherboard. Do not connect them to PSU.
Change fan regulation type for 3pin fans in BIOS to linear voltage regulation.

Do not use AIO_pump header. That runs at full speed all the time.

Your motherboard has 6 fan headers.
Two - for cpu, one for AIO and 3 for system fans.
If CPU_OPT fan header is free, you can use it for system fan as well.

Also you can use 2-way fan splitter for connecting 2 fans to single header.

41I+e6kwPQS._AC_SX450_.jpg

BTW - how many fans in total do you have? 6 total?
I have multiple fans with 3 pin and molex connector.
you have fans that include both a 3pin & a male+female molex connector?

if what you are looking to do is have a single fan powered and controlled by a motherboard header.
then having 2 more fans daisy chained to this fan via molex connections;
before attempting to run them this way check the manufacturer product information if they are intended to be daisy chained this way.

if i am wrong about your intention then provide images of these fans' connectors.

Oct 8, 2021
you have fans that include both a 3pin & a male+female molex connector?

if what you are looking to do is have a single fan powered and controlled by a motherboard header.
then having 2 more fans daisy chained to this fan via molex connections;
before attempting to run them this way check the manufacturer product information if they are intended to be daisy chained this way.

if i am wrong about your intention then provide images of these fans' connectors.
Thanm you for your response. Yes that is exactly what i was going to do, i looked everywhere for answers and all i saw was i info about splitters. My motherboard is a b450 f gaming ii and states 1a 12v. Sorry new to building pc and dont want to mess it up.

I just did that half a year ago on a simple (stupid looking) mod on an old cabinet.

So what I did, having 3 fans of same brand/type running from one motherboard connector:
  • Fan1 connected to molex plug, all wires.
  • Fan2 connected in parallell, but feedback not connected.
  • Fan3 same as for fan 2.
So - when the intention is that all fans should run at near full speed this is good.

If you intent the fans being run low speed, this is bad because there is a risk of stalling since the fan controller only get feedback from one fan.

Also - since this are somewhat risky, My setup was tested with a rude (very cheap) 12V supply just in case there is a short circuit. You probably do not want to risk your motherboard.

Oct 8, 2021
I just did that half a year ago on a simple (stupid looking) mod on an old cabinet.

So what I did, having 3 fans of same brand/type running from one motherboard connector:
  • Fan1 connected to molex plug, all wires.
  • Fan2 connected in parallell, but feedback not connected.
  • Fan3 same as for fan 2.
So - when the intention is that all fans should run at near full speed this is good.

If you intent the fans being run low speed, this is bad because there is a risk of stalling since the fan controller only get feedback from one fan.

Also - since this are somewhat risky, My setup was tested with a rude (very cheap) 12V supply just in case there is a short circuit. You probably do not want to risk your motherboard.
I have 3 separate headers can i just plug in a fan to each header then 3 separate front fans straight to psu?

Just plug all fans into motherboard. Do not connect them to PSU.
Change fan regulation type for 3pin fans in BIOS to linear voltage regulation.

Do not use AIO_pump header. That runs at full speed all the time.

Your motherboard has 6 fan headers.
Two - for cpu, one for AIO and 3 for system fans.
If CPU_OPT fan header is free, you can use it for system fan as well.

Also you can use 2-way fan splitter for connecting 2 fans to single header.

41I+e6kwPQS._AC_SX450_.jpg

BTW - how many fans in total do you have? 6 total?

Last edited:
Solution
If you can be more specific, I probably can say yes or no for this.

In general, if you can solder the wires itself, there are nothing wrong connecting the fans to a molex plug - but you should know what you're doing. And because you ask the way you ask, my answer for now would be no - simply.