Question Headphones with Dual Jack - Static Noise Loop

Nov 18, 2019
I have a pair of headphones with two 3.5mm jacks, they allow me to listen to audio from two different sources at once.

I also have a KVM (sort of) that lets me switch between my work computer and home computer at the click of a button.

My goal:
To be able to listen to audio from my work computer (jack 1), while being able to listen to audio from home computer (jack 2) at all times regardless of which PC is active (via my KVM).

Here is a diagram of how things are setup. I've left out everything pertaining to HDMI since I don't think it's a factor here and it will just complicate things, but do note that while my setup seems a bit odd, it is because of the way my monitors are setup.

As you can see there's sort of a loop situation going on where my home pc has a connection via both the docking station and directly to the headphones via line out. The result is that I get a constant static noise if both jacks are connected. Changing the output settings on my home pc between usb and line out works, audio comes through both channels separately, but the static is always there so long as both are plugged in. Unplugging either cable will remove the static.

Is there some sort of one-way noise filter that I can plug in that will eliminate the noise? I found this in a search, will it do any good if I plug it straight into my line out from my home pc? Or is there something more common that I don't know about that will solve my problem.

Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
The static you speak of can be reduced(to a degree) using ferrite bead chokes/noise suppressors but for all intents and purposes you shouldn't be using the headphones that way. If anything you might want to plug out the audio coming straight from your home PC.

Nov 18, 2019
Lutfij, the recommendation that "I shouldn't be using my headphones that way" is not helpful. I have a valid reason for wanting to use them this way.

It seems the noise I was hearing was due to a ground loop. Plugging my audio straight into both PCs still resulted in the static, since they were still connected to a common ground via the docking station.

I went for a shot in the dark and purchased the Aukey Ground Loop Noise Isolator. I placed it between my headphones and Home PC connection. The sound is 100% eliminated, everything is working exactly as I had hoped.

TRENDING THREADS