Question Headset mic via Xbox Controller is detected but not picking up audio ?

snail915

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my PC involving a replacement of the motherboard, RAM, Processor and addition of a Samsung 990Pro Nvme. My headset all worked fine via the Xbox Elite Controller for about a week after building the new setup but then one day no one could hear me. Windows can see the microphone in sound devices and device manager. All other apps like gamebar and Discord etc see the mic but nothing is detecting the audio input.

My current specs are as follows:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z790-E
RAM: 32gb DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 7200MHz
CPU: I7 14700k
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080
PSU: Corsair RM850
Headset: Astro A10s (Connected via Xbox Elite Controller)
Controller: Xbox Elite Controller 2 series (connected via USB)
Storage: Win11 installed on 2Tb Samsung 990Pro Nvme

Steps I've tried:
  • Used device manager to remove the xbox controller from both "Xbox Peripherals" and "Sound, Video..."
  • Reinstalled Realtek audio drivers
  • Disabled Nvidia audio drivers and vice versa to see if there was any kind of conflict
  • Fresh install of windows 10
  • Fresh install of windows 11
  • Tested headset in an front mic/headphone ports (mic works in front IO, but can't use front IO as speaker ports broken)
  • Tested headset in rear mic/speaker ports (mic works but can't get the spatial surround sound for headphones etc if I use the rear speaker port)
  • Tested headset in another xbox controller (didn't fix the issue)
  • Tested headset and controller in anot her PC (works perfectly fine)
  • Ran Windows Troubleshooter, it says there is nothing wrong
Update* After retrying all of the above today I've now found the headset works all the time in the USB 2.0 ports on the front of my case but does not work in the USB 3.0 (Front IO) or USB 3.2 directly in the rear panel. It was in the rear panel in the past so it seems this lack of function in a USB3.2 is a new development since I built the PC a month ago.

I tested it on another PC that only has USB 3/3.1 and USB 2.0 and it works on all those ports Front IO and rear panel.

Could this be some kind of driver issue or a faulty Motherboard?

Last edited: