Heat issues?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
ALSO if he wants the full corp version the are other way too. :twisted:

I'm curios but I’m not going to ask. :D

Before I use alcohol for my games, so I don't have to use the See Dee.
Now I just look for cracks ever since I got hook on it. :p

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I severely doubt the CD/DVD drive will make a difference.

In fact, given the way that modern PSU's balance load detaching drives may actually *decrease* the power available on the +12v rail.

I'd suggest ordering a new PSU from a company that has a good returns policy. It will give you piece of mind to check that.

Have you also updated your motherboard BIOS? Often compatibility for newer cards is introduced in later BIOS fixes?

For instance, the early editions of the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe dont even work properly with 7900series cards out of the box!

CrimsonJustice

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Well I don't know how much of a difference unplugging my CD and DVD drives did, but the card ran fairly well. I also removed all traces of the nVidia driver, so that may have helped. For the 2-3 hours last night I played, it ran reasonably well.

If I can find a good power supply with a higher wattage at a reasonable price, I think I'll upgrade it anyway, and a slot cooler would be good anyway as well. Even though the specific problem wasn't/isn't clear the liittle upgrades probably won't hurt.

Also, I did update my BIOS, it was one of the first things I thought of.

Thanks for all the help, and if I have any more problems I'll be sure to ask.

CrimsonJustice

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Well just today I went out and bought another psu. This one's a 520 Watt sucker that's made for dual PCIe cards and such. If power's the problem, it can't even handle the one =/. The card's still crashing after random usage in 3d applications, not just World of Warcraft. My friend gave me Doom 3 and it also has the same problem: "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator because it was not responding to commands", or something approximatly like that.

I got a couple fans as well to cool the system and got those in to help as well, but alas, still no luck.

ATI is taking forever to diagnose the problem, and it's really getting quite annoying. Sometimes it goes hours without problems, and then others it will go for only a couple minutes. It doesn't matter what settings a game is running at, 640x480 with minumum quality or 1280x1024 with all the settings maxed out, it still dies.

I guess if you guys can't think of something I'll have to wait until ATI responds. If I knew things were going so bad I would have picked something with a good return policy =(.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I get something like that happening when I overclock my x600. if your card is factory overclocked, then try bringing it down to stock or even underclocking it if it is/isn't. If it stops when it does that, then you can safely say that your card is t3h suck and you should RMA it.

CrimsonJustice

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
It hasn't even been unlocked =(.

Yesterday I was trying to overclock it just using the overclocking stuff in ATI Tray Tools, but it wouldn't let me underclock it.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry for late reply, I was away for awhile.

It seems like you have more problem that I suspect.

If you haven’t done these yet try to check every connection on the system which might not be the case but what would you got to loose. Then try a clean install of the Operating System and updates to a different drive if you have extra. Next install just the games and don’t try to overclock anything yet and try stress test like 3dmark. If the games work fine then its driver issue. If it's not, then might be hardware issue.

I know it's a long shot but you've been waiting this long for an answer from ATI, why not try few things more your self. I understand your frustrations and I sympathize with you. Good Luck.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
One more thing, make sure your computer is not connected to anything else but the power outlet and make sure plugs are in tight. Ground loop may also an issue but highly unlikely, but for this one, you’re just eliminating the possibilities.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I'm late to this, but want to add my two cents. Sounds like a driver issue to me.
Make sure you clean your system of any old drivers before putting new ones in.
Could be a combo of weak psu and drivers, especially since the symptoms seem to be pointing in several directions.
Best of luck.

CrimsonJustice

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Well I have been talking with ATI and they said to test it in a friend's machine to see if it is hardware or just my system. He has a pretty good setup. Excellent cooling and a 600 watt PSU. His system was already runing a x800 GTO2. Once we got it installed and downloaded all the newest drivers it ran great in desktop and such. we started up Doom 3 and started playing. In 10 minutes it reset with the same old "VPu Recover has reset your graphics accelerator because it was not responding to commands" or whatever.

ATI support has instructed me to request an RMA. I guess I'll be sending it out on Tuesday morning once I get everything together.