Nov 8, 2020
Hey guys, I’m posting here because I recently bought a pre-built gaming pc from cyber power last year... it’s been rock solid, and I’ve had no complaints until last week when a lightning storm struck my neighborhood a dozen times, and on my way to work, I found out lightning struck the house. Now before I get yelled at that I should have had a surge protector , just realize my frustration in that, I had just moved into my girlfriends place, and the day I brought the pc there, upon literally plugging it in for the first time, this happened...

First to note, it didn’t fry anything except the tv in our room, and obviously I’m assuming something in the pc... the pc still turns on, and the fans on the graphics card (EVGA GeForce 6gb 1060) fans still run, as well as the motherboard CPU fan, and most of external fans (some stopped working previously, I’m assuming because they are cheap) my question is, unfortunately I do not have another graphics card to use to test if that is the culprit to why I can’t get the screen to work... i don’t have an old cord to try using the integrated gfx either. My question is what do you guys think? Should I buy the other cord somewhere (dvi?) and try the integrated and see if I can get it going? I don’t hear any beeps or anything when I start the computer, just a black screen. I don’t have a monitor I use the hdmi port on a new tv I bought. Thanks in advance! Much love!

Nov 8, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
I’m at work so I can’t remember everything by memory alone...
Motherboard : msi h110m pro-d
CPU : intel i5 3.5 ghz
Ram : Corsair 2x4 gb 2133 MHz
Psu: 700 watt (will get brand name when I get home)

Nov 8, 2020
A word of warning, from experience, it could be the RAM, and if you replace it, the motherboard could start killing any RAM module you put in it in a matter of months.

If I were your I'd just get as many new parts as you can afford, preferably everything new. It might even be wise to back up all of your data, but that may be a bit extreme, or not, it never hurts anyway.

Good surge protectors are like $10, there's never a good reason to plug the computer directly into the wall.

Nov 8, 2020
I have a laptop that I use to plug the hdmi to the tv, and that works fine, so it isn’t the tv. As I said, when I use the same cable and plug it into the video card, I just get nothing, no noise, just a black screen. I’m really numbed if I have to get an ENTIRE new system, I just wish I could diagnose what is actually wrong. I figured the graphics card would be the culprit , even though the fans are still spinning. If it was the ram, wouldn’t I hear some beeps from the motherboard?

TRENDING THREADS