[SOLVED] Help deciding on a 2k 144hz monitor

Jan 8, 2021
Hi, I've been struggling to decide between monitors and need some help. I have access to a Gigabyte G27Q or a ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD. They are both on the budget end of the spectrum, in my country that's what I can get.
For me the specs of 27 inch, 1440p 144hz IPS monitor with lower response time are great because I'd use it for gaming and animation so I'd like the fidelity of an IPS panel but also not sacrificing too much response time. 2k sounds perfect for a 27 inch and 144hz is a must for me.
As for those 2 monitors, the G27Q seems to have a better stand and the capability to overclock it to get 165hz, and the ViewSonic looks to have better range of color.
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/991712e044
I plan on using it with G-Sync (got a 1070ti), the price here is the same so I'm really struggling deciding which one should I get. In one hand ViewSonic sounds like a more solid brand but the Gigabyte one also looks enticing and the stand is really way better.
As for ghosting I'm unsure as to which one would be better.
I'd appreciate any help from you guys, thanks!

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
I have a G27Q I use for gaming, very happy with it.

Only small niggle is the little 'joystick' on the back for interacting with the OSD is a little tricky to get to.

You mentioned that you can increase it to 165Hz - how do you do this?

Reactions: Wak0
Jan 8, 2021
I have a G27Q I use for gaming, very happy with it.

Only small niggle is the little 'joystick' on the back for interacting with the OSD is a little tricky to get to.

You mentioned that you can increase it to 165Hz - how do you do this?

Good to know, thanks. I might be leaning towards the G27Q.

I've read online you can "overclock it" to +160hz, must be from software I'm guessing? could limit the lifespan of your monitor though

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
Good to know, thanks. I might be leaning towards the G27Q.

I've read online you can "overclock it" to +160hz, must be from software I'm guessing? could limit the lifespan of your monitor though
I tried increasing to 160Hz via a custom resolution in nVidia control panel (I'm on an NVidia GPU). Monitor just displayed 'out of range'. Don't care that much but if OC'ing your monitor is important to you - maybe look somewhere else

Jan 8, 2021
I tried increasing to 160Hz via a custom resolution in nVidia control panel (I'm on an NVidia GPU). Monitor just displayed 'out of range'. Don't care that much but if OC'ing your monitor is important to you - maybe look somewhere else
mmh that's weird. Yeah I wasn't plannig on OC'ing right away, maybe it was nice to have the option though. I read people had trouble performing at 144hz on the ViewSonic one too, had to lock it at 120 for some reason. 144hz is good enough for me