Question Help identifying clicking sound in system, video inc

Dec 11, 2021
I recently upgraded everything except my GPU and psu. It was all working great until I started hearing a clicking sound.

CPU: i7 11700k
Mobo: tuf gaming z590 plus
GPU: r9 fury sapphire nitro

At first I suspected the PSU and bought a new one from be quiet. 850w just to be safe. After installing I still heard it.

I tried unplugging my GPU and ran on integrated graphics and had no issue. I replaced my card with an old r9 280 and the clicking was present but not as loud until I plugged a second monitor.

You can hear the clicking here https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBWpKrYwdv8X1PEU9

I suspect it is my motherboards GPU connector now. I was going to try the second pcie slot, but the card won't fit due to the m.2 I have below it.

I'm not very familiar with this type of issue as I've never had it happen in over 20 years. I suspect I need to rma the mobo but I want to be sure before pulling everything out again.

Thank you for any help in identifying this issue

I recently upgraded everything except my GPU and psu. It was all working great until I started hearing a clicking sound.

CPU: i7 11700k
Mobo: tuf gaming z590 plus
GPU: r9 fury sapphire nitro

At first I suspected the PSU and bought a new one from be quiet. 850w just to be safe. After installing I still heard it.

I tried unplugging my GPU and ran on integrated graphics and had no issue. I replaced my card with an old r9 280 and the clicking was present but not as loud until I plugged a second monitor.

You can hear the clicking here https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBWpKrYwdv8X1PEU9

I suspect it is my motherboards GPU connector now. I was going to try the second pcie slot, but the card won't fit due to the m.2 I have below it.

I'm not very familiar with this type of issue as I've never had it happen in over 20 years. I suspect I need to rma the mobo but I want to be sure before pulling everything out again.

Thank you for any help in identifying this issue
Any mechanical hard disks ?

Dec 11, 2021
Any mechanical hard disks ?
No, I have 2 new m.2 drives and 3 SSD from my old system that I reformated. Something to note though is I noticed the clicking seems to disappear or just go low enough to where I can't hear it upon closing Wallpaper engine. So I assume that would be the power draw of the program making the GPU work harder / increase the sound?

Dec 11, 2021
Including GPU and PSU fans ? What happens when you load system with benchmark ?
There's nothing else that can make mechanical clicking sounds.
Yes, Including GPU and CPU fans. I just did a 3D mark 11 on advanced mode for 1920x1080p several times and oddly I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. But starting up wallpaper engine, I heard it kick up again with the clicking noise. This has me stumped, but it seems like if I keep that program off, the problem goes away...

Yes, Including GPU and CPU fans. I just did a 3D mark 11 on advanced mode for 1920x1080p several times and oddly I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. But starting up wallpaper engine, I heard it kick up again with the clicking noise. This has me stumped, but it seems like if I keep that program off, the problem goes away...
That's really strange. I asked you to put machine under load so fans would speed up and coils have steady load. At lower speed at verge of shutting down, fans may start making some nose and also transformers and coils but I never heard them that loud.

Dec 11, 2021
I did some testing on my GPU and this is what I found with voltage / clock speed

Idle w/o Wallpaper Engine on
unknown.png

Idle w/ Wallpaper Engine
unknown.png

and Benchmark extreme test w/o Wallpaper engine for comparison
unknown.png

What you'll notice is the clock speed and voltage hit maximum while nothing else changes. But in the benchmark test, everything goes up. I found a reddit post where someone mentioned the same exact problem. GPU Making clock-like clicking sound

So I am pretty confident we found the culprit of the clicking, I just don't understand how or why it causes it. I've been able to benchmark, play games, etc without a peep until that program is on. Granted, the sound was a lot louder with my old PSU, so maybe it was a combination of it going out and Wallpaper Engine doing whatever it does, but it seems like such a simple program shouldn't be causing it at all.